Windows loading wheel of death

Hi all,

I just recently turned on my VM and gone to uninstall a game (Uplay), when I clicked uninstall game I had a popup asking me to install the .net 4.0 feature. Whilst doing so I noticed that the VM had paused itself (not completing the .net install), I couldn't unpause or stop the VM either.

So I forcefully stopped the vm and started it again, although on the startup I got to the Windows spinner and the machine paused itself. I can't get it to do anything else.

I can't seem to see any errors, I had attached my diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20180522-2042.zip

Didn't check diagnostics, but it sure sounds like your image file ran out of space.  Keep in mind vdisk images are sparse by default, which means you can specify a much larger disk size than you actually have room for, and it will allocate real space as necessary.  Since BTRFS has such a difficult time reporting free space properly, it's quite possible to run completely out of space without realizing it.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Didn't check diagnostics, but it sure sounds like your image file ran out of space.  Keep in mind vdisk images are sparse by default, which means you can specify a much larger disk size than you actually have room for, and it will allocate real space as necessary.  Since BTRFS has such a difficult time reporting free space properly, it's quite possible to run completely out of space without realizing it.

I had about 100GB left. I was sure to give it a lot of space.

• 3 months later...

So after deleting something on the problematic VM, it booted so it was a BTRFS problem. Although I'm I am only using 100gb when I set it to 220gb and the data isn't being passed over to the other device in the drive array e.g. drive 1 is full and drive 2 is pretty much empty. How would I go about it spreading the data over the drives? I thought it automatically did this.

Edited by jbonnett
8 minutes ago, jbonnett said:

So after deleting something on the problematic VM, it booted so it was a BTRFS problem. Although I'm I am only using 100gb when I set it to 220gb and the data isn't being passed over to the other device in the drive array e.g. drive 1 is full and drive 2 is pretty much empty. How would I go about it spreading the data over the drives? I thought it automatically did this.

UnRAID will never split a single file across drives, and a vdisk is a single file at the unRAID Level.    You should always assume that a VM may use the full amount of space you specify for the vdisk when working out if you have sufficient space on a drive.

If it is files outside the VM that are not being spread as expected, then you should be aware that in a case of a conflict the setting for Split Level over-rides Allocation Method when selecting a disk to receive files.

19 minutes ago, itimpi said:

UnRAID will never split a single file across drives, and a vdisk is a single file at the unRAID Level.    You should always assume that a VM may use the full amount of space you specify for the vdisk when working out if you have sufficient space on a drive.

If it is files outside the VM that are not being spread as expected, then you should be aware that in a case of a conflict the setting for Split Level over-rides Allocation Method when selecting a disk to receive files.

Hi itimpi,

I can't see an option for "Split Level over-rides", I'm guessing that the option is only when you create the VM although I couldn't see the option there either.

I'm guessing you get less performance using this method too? If using more than one VM.

Edited by jbonnett

I was talking about files outside the VM as I was not sure which files you were talking across drives.

When you set up the VM the space you specify for emulating its drive is set up as a single file (the vdisk) and cannot be split across drives.   There is no way to work around that limitation.

2 hours ago, jbonnett said:

Ohh ok, I thought that the array was supposed to work like JBOD :(

It does in that you get a single consolidated view of the files spanning all disks.     However each disk is a discrete file system (whose contents can be read when removed from the array) which is why any individual file cannot span disks.

Ok so what would you say the best storage setup would be for this? I have two SSD's 250GB each and one HDD 2TB. I essentially want to do two gamers one PC, would I have the SSD JBOD or Mirrored? Baring in mind that I would like to have the VM's v-disk cached and at least one large game (I think the largest game I have is 100GB) with the best performance. Or if you'd have any other suggestions?

I've seen some stuff on BTRFS and snapshotting, so I could snapshot the v-disk and still customise the data to a per VM basis? E.g. if I had one program installed on the one and not the other.

Edited by jbonnett