How to remove an unmountable HDD from your array?

I plugged a hard drive that I though was unformatted into my unraid server.  Once I added it as Disk 4 to my unraid server, I then tried to format it so unraid could use it.  Long story short.  The drive isn't any good.  It's never had any data written to it because I was never able to format it in unraid.  But if I can't remove it or else my array won't start. 

So how do I remove this unmountable, never been used HDD from my array?  It literally has 0 data on it, it's never been actually used by unraid due to the fact that I can't format it. 

You seem to have left out some important details in your description. Do you have a parity disk?

Did you preclear the disk you were adding? If not, and you have a parity disk, then unRAID would clear the disk before it would add it to the array, so parity would remain valid. This would have taken considerable time depending on the size. Then after the disk was cleared, unRAID would add it to the array and let you format it.

It is very unclear what you mean when you said you tried to format the disk so unRAID could use it, since you must let unRAID format a disk it will use in the array after it has been added to the array.

New Config is probably the answer, but I would feel better about it if I was sure you hadn't done anything else wrong that you haven't told us about.

• Like 1

I don't have a parity.  But I will after today.  Just been waiting for the drive to come in.

I mean, I installed the drive into my chassis.  Booted up unraid.  Assigned the drive to Disk 4 (as that was the next open spot).  Started my array.  Then clicked format so unraid could format the brand new drive in the array.

But when it goes to format, it fails due to errors on the drive it's self.  No I did not preclear.  I thought I read some where that preclear was dead now?

If I do new config without a parity, will I lose any data on my other drives?