[SOLVED] Parity Drive Red Balled

Parity Drive red balled.  I'm looking for assistance with the diagnostics of this drive. 

Attached are the diagnostics of the server right after the red ball and after a reboot.  Right after the incident SMART information was unavailable.  I am currently performing an extended SMART test to see if it passes.

Again, I'm looking for help on how to diagnose this drive.  

I will update this thread once the extended test is complete.  Any help on how to handle this would be appreciated!

tower-diagnostics-20180524-1058.zip

tower-diagnostics-20180527-0054.zip

The extended SMART test completed without error.  I can't easily replace cables as it's a breakout cable and I would have to replace the whole thing.  What I did do is re-seat the cable in the affected drive to ensure a good connection.  

I am re-syncing parity at this time.  I removed the disabled drive from the array, started the array, stopped, and then re-added the drive. 

I was actually hoping that this drive was bad as it has one month left of warranty.  I hate intermittent issues that leave you scratching your head!   Looking at the smart report it looks like it had a similar issue at 49 hours of operation, and then the current one at 8150 hours. I don't recall this drive ever red-balling before.  Weird.

I will report if I have a successful rebuild of parity.

Thanks jonnie.black.

tower-diagnostics-20180527-1101 after extented test.zip

Just an update.  Parity has been rebuilt.  I'm going to run a parity check just to be sure everything is ok.

For now, I'm going to blame this on a glitch in the Matrix. lol.  If this happens again on this disk I will just replace it.

This is one of those White Label drives that can be purchased at a pretty good price.  It wouldn't surprise me that they are actually factory rejects that were found to have some sort of issue. So they put a white label on it, reduce the warranty, and sell at a discount.  Who knows for sure.

• BradJ changed the title to [SOLVED] Parity Drive Red Balled