Disk overload in Utorrent with Unraid 6.5+

So my problem is, whenever I am using any newer version of Unraid than 6.4.1 I cant utilize my internet bandwith for downloading directly to my Unraid server. My usual speed with 6.4.1 is about 50Megabytes per second (I have 500/500Mbit). And it rarely gets  disk overload in Utorrent. But as soon as i have upgraded to version 6.5 and newer I have always had this problem that my speed drops and disk overload. Nothing else is changed than the never version of Unraid. I have tried all 6.5+ updates to date and I have always reverted back to 6.4.1 because of this issue.

I wonder if this has something to do with the Meltdown/Spectre update and my server cant handle it?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e986b3602453db2658580c79cf751342.jpg

Stats_-_2018-05-27_14.54.17.png

diagnostics-20180527-1459.zip

Stats_-_2018-05-27_15.14.13.png

Edited by skyfox77
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 3:51 AM, skyfox77 said:

I guess you have older hardware like I do?

No, I have recent hardware (E5-2699 v4, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD cache in Raid 1).  I resolved it by creating a new vdisk in my Win10 VM to be used only for uTorrent downloads.  Once the download completes, uTorrent (v2.2.1) moves the file to the cache for processing.  This seems to have resolved my issues.  I  have gigabit internet but my uTorrent speeds still stick around 200Mbps, but I'm not complaining...it gets the job done.

I recently updated to 6.6.5 and I still don't see the problem with this setup.

27 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Are downloading to cache or to the array?

I am downloading to my User Shares, but they are all set to use my Cache drive which is an SSD. I actually bought an SSD because i thought that was the issue. Still, no issues with 6.4.1. Or VERY rarely and for a shorter period of time, newer versions I have to paus the downloads to get it to catch up.

18 minutes ago, Andiroo2 said:

No, I have recent hardware (E5-2699 v4, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD cache in Raid 1).  I resolved it by creating a new vdisk in my Win10 VM to be used only for uTorrent downloads.  Once the download completes, uTorrent (v2.2.1) moves the file to the cache for processing.  This seems to have resolved my issues.  I  have gigabit internet but my uTorrent speeds still stick around 200Mbps, but I'm not complaining...it gets the job done.

I recently updated to 6.6.5 and I still don't see the problem with this setup.

Glad It works for you, I still think It's a bit overkill to have to create a VM to download things to a fileserver. I really just wish I knew what the issue could be with all the newer versions of Unraid that says the disk overload when the older version don´t.

22 minutes ago, skyfox77 said:

Glad It works for you, I still think It's a bit overkill to have to create a VM to download things to a fileserver. I really just wish I knew what the issue could be with all the newer versions of Unraid that says the disk overload when the older version don´t.

Oh, I have my download process in a VM by choice.  It wasn't a big deal to create a local scratch disk for temp file storage rather than sending over the "network" to the array.

53 minutes ago, Andiroo2 said:

Oh, I have my download process in a VM by choice.  It wasn't a big deal to create a local scratch disk for temp file storage rather than sending over the "network" to the array.

Well, that is not what I want to do with my server.

48 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If disable try enabling direct I/O, it might be faster. (Settings -> Global Share Settings)

Thanks for the tip. but that actually made it worse than before :( Trying on version 6.6.6

Edited by skyfox77