We're moving

Hey sorry everyone for not announcing this sooner, and also sorry for our sparse involvement in the last week.  Both myself and Lime Tech corp are in the process of moving, and coincidentally Jon is moving as well.  Eric is busy chasing problems with various compilation errors getting unRAID OS running on the latest linux kernel.  I'm anticipating being fully back to work on June 1, Jon should be sooner.

• Like 6
On 5/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, JustinAiken said:

..and most importantly, how does Limetech people move their unraids? Whole, or with all drives removed and packaged separately? 

I can't speak for Lime Tech, but I can relate my own experience 3 years ago when I moved.  I didn't want to trust the movers with my PC's and server, so I moved these all myself. 

My unRAID server is a large, 24-bay X-Case rackmount, and I find it pretty heavy on it's own.  Even with just 16 drives installed, I found it too heavy for me to manage on my own.  So I pulled the drives, and with a black sharpie marker, I wrote the bay number on each drive, and then bubble-wrapped and boxed them.

Once I was at the destination, I double-checked all my cabling, and reinserted the drives into their original bays.  Everything came up perfectly.

I hope the various Lime Tech moves went well.

Paul

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Pauven said:

I can't speak for Lime Tech, but I can relate my own experience 3 years ago when I moved.  I didn't want to trust the movers with my PC's and server, so I moved these all myself. 

My unRAID server is a large, 24-bay X-Case rackmount, and I find it pretty heavy on it's own.  Even with just 16 drives installed, I found it too heavy for me to manage on my own.  So I pulled the drives, and with a black sharpie marker, I wrote the bay number on each drive, and then bubble-wrapped and boxed them.

Once I was at the destination, I double-checked all my cabling, and reinserted the drives into their original bays.  Everything came up perfectly.

I hope the various Lime Tech moves went well.

Paul

Luckily this step is no longer necessary.

Ok, move pretty much complete.  Quite a pain moving both residence and corp headquarters at the same time!

FYI here's a brief history:

• circa 2005/2006: unRAID born, Sunnyvale, CA
  • 2008-2011: Fort Collins, CO
  • 2012-early 2018: San Diego, CA (incorporated 2015)
  • present: Anaheim, CA (no, we're not in the tree house in Disneyland)

Jon, meanwhile, moved within the same city near Chicago.

Next up: release 6.5.3-rc2, which brings us up-to-date with linux 4.14 LTS kernel, along with a handful of bug fixes.  As soon as that release is promoted to stable we'll get unRAID 6.6 next release out there.

Thanks to everyone for your patience during this time.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 11:03 PM, limetech said:

Eric is busy chasing problems with various compilation errors getting unRAID OS running on the latest linux kernel. 

Hey Lime Tech,

Just curious if the compilation errors are still a problem. 

I see 4.18 is coming out in a week, which made me wonder if that would fix the compilation errors if they were still a problem..

Paul

• 4 weeks later...