high vCPU count VM and overheads? (40+ vCPUs?)

Well that was a bad idea duhhh. Was on clover 4449 and tried to update to the latest 4871.

Dead and not booting anymore. Tnx god for BTRFS Reflinks ;-). Had the smart idea to create a reflink just before i did the clover thing.

I do vaguely remember that the 4449 version was specialy adapted to run on qemu, but too long ago to remember.

I think for now i will leave it like this unless someone has a bright idea of what causes this rather then blindly experimenting.

1 hour ago, glennv said:

Well that was a bad idea duhhh. Was on clover 4449 and tried to update to the latest 4871.

Dead and not booting anymore. Tnx god for BTRFS Reflinks ;-). Had the smart idea to create a reflink just before i did the clover thing.

I do vaguely remember that the 4449 version was specialy adapted to run on qemu, but too long ago to remember.

I think for now i will leave it like this unless someone has a bright idea of what causes this rather then blindly experimenting.

I have usually had a bad time trying to update clover on a vm. I usually take the long way around by making a new VM from scratch with updated clover, then running a time machine restore to the blank vm... too many times had a clover update just bork everything and got tired of it.

Yeah i guess we have all been there haha. I so love BTRFS reflinks and snapshots for this sort of things.

Anyway. Upgraded to a higher clover using the kit from gridrunners high sierra video . Now it worked ok but still the same problem. Even moved to a new (newest) imac model in clover, but still nogo on 40 cores.

Going to try an upgrade to high sierra just for fun and see if that does anything (likely will kill my patched 10G drivers but just for the sake of it. Will just revert after)