Remote Accessing your NAS.

Hi everyone, I will be having a NAS set up with Unraid being hosted at an offsite location. How can I access my data from anywhere in the world remotely? Also Can I FTP to the NAS to transfer terabytes of data?

• 2 weeks later...

Just published a docker template with Zerotier for an easy VPN-ish remote access solution without setting up own VPN server and without an overhead of running everything thru one server. Also available in Community Applications, simple setup instructions are in the support thread. As a final result, you will see your unRaid as it's in a local network with full access. Share please if it works for you if you gonna try.

> Also Can I FTP to the NAS to transfer terabytes of data?

Depends on chosen solution. With VPN or this Zerotier solution - yes, you can. But you understand that terabytes will be a type of pain thru internet in remote locations in any case just because of bandwidth.

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2018 at 11:45 PM, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

Just published a docker template with Zerotier for an easy VPN-ish remote access solution without setting up own VPN server and without an overhead of running everything thru one server. Also available in Community Applications, simple setup instructions are in the support thread. As a final result, you will see your unRaid as it's in a local network with full access. Share please if it works for you if you gonna try.

> Also Can I FTP to the NAS to transfer terabytes of data?

Depends on chosen solution. With VPN or this Zerotier solution - yes, you can. But you understand that terabytes will be a type of pain thru internet in remote locations in any case just because of bandwidth.

Hei buddy I have been struggling with openvpn configuration for months (8 months) Not only because am a noob but also because am not able to find help.

I tried zerotier but I don't find any tutors or easily understandable assistance. Can you please help? 
Wasted enough time already.

13 minutes ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Hei buddy I have been struggling with openvpn configuration for months (8 months) Not only because am a noob but also because am not able to find help.

I tried zerotier but I don't find any tutors or easily understandable assistance. Can you please help? 
Wasted enough time already.

Did you try the support thread he linked? You should post your questions in that zerotier support thread. In general you should always use the support thread for a specific docker for questions about that docker. You can always get to the support thread for any of your dockers from Community Applications or by clicking on the icon for that docker in the unRAID webUI and selecting Support.

27 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you try the support thread he linked? You should post your questions in that zerotier support thread. In general you should always use the support thread for a specific docker for questions about that docker. You can always get to the support thread for any of your dockers from Community Applications or by clicking on the icon for that docker in the unRAID webUI and selecting Support.

Am sorry for it, just that am exhausted. Looking for help anywhere.

6 minutes ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Am sorry for it, just that am exhausted. Looking for help anywhere.

That's OK. I was just wondering if you knew about the support thread. It does have instructions and links, and suggestions of what to do to get further information for posting to the thread for support.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:46 AM, trurl said:

VPN

Many routers support VPN and there is the OpenVPN docker which you can install from Community Applications plugin.

This is BY FAR your best option.  Opening and forwarding a ton of ports to your unraid box will open you up to potential attacks. 

22 hours ago, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

Yeah, Zerotier is basically giving you same as fair VPN with

- minus, that not all your traffic will be tunnelled, just a traffic between your devices.

+ but plus, traffic between your devices goes peer to peer without a single tunnelling service in the middle

+ much easier to setup

Thanks a lot man. It's a time saver. Not sure how missed it all this time. :)