Unable to access tower or shares since update to 6.5.2

Hello all. Since upgrading to 6.5.2 one of my servers is no longer showing in network, nor am i able to access it via tower or ip address.

Another server i have, i did the update on and no issues.

Im a t a loss here. i followed the other guides. Im not sure whats going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Nitsuj
  • Nitsuj changed the title to Unable to access tower or shares since update to 6.5.2

Have you tried accessing the unRAID server via it’s IP address rather than it’s name?    The recent Windows update made changes that mean unRAID servers will no longer show up in the NETWORK neighbourhood.   Can you ping the IP address of the unRAID server from the PC?

Edited by itimpi

Hello all. Since upgrading to 6.5.2 one of my servers is no longer showing in network, nor am i able to access it via tower or ip address.

Another server i have, i did the update on and no issues.

Im at a loss here. i followed the other guides. Im not sure whats going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the same issue as you.

I've tired ping the machine and it response, but I can't access the file explore (name or IP address), nor can I SSH into it either (using PuTTY) I've tried everything but use a new USB stick because I don't really have anymore or one's that are more reliable then the one in the machine (USB 2.0 and on a new USB 2.0 port as well) no matter what I do I get "tower refused connection"

I'm pulling my hair out here, like OP any help would be great, and much much appreciated!

Edited by sirkingjamz
minor grammar, word correction and added details

Here is a thread dedicated  to Windows problems.   It covers many different issues so it is best to look through the entire thread.  Windows 10 is an ongoing headache as MS can update the computer without the user even realizing it.  Plus, the are about four different releases (The last being 1803) and four different product lines of the OS.  What works for one person doesn't work for another...

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

You need to post up your PC's OS and what version and release you are using.  (With Win7 Pro, I finally ended up setting up a Home network and turning off all of its 'sharing' features (for privacy concerns) to be able to browse the Network Neighborhood.)

@sirkingjamz, you might be better served if you started your own thread about your issue.  I realize it is often difficult to decide when join a thread with your problem but with an issue like this about 90% of the time , your solution will be radically different than the OP's solution.  Plus, it is confusing to the folks trying to help to keep you and the OP straight as they attempt to help you both.  

Edited by Frank1940

What version did you update from?

Did you take care of everything in the update notes?

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

In particular

If you can't access the webgui after upgrading to 6.5.0, your server name may include characters that are invalid for NETBIOS names. Only 'A-Z', 'a-z', '0-9', dashes ('-'), and dots ('.') are allowed, and it must be 15 characters or less. (see this) To fix this, edit \\tower\flash\config\ident.cfg using a good editor (like Notepad++, not Notepad) and remove those characters from the "NAME" parameter, then reboot. (the Update Assistant could have warned you of this in advance)

If none of our suggestions help, see the "Need Help" sticky near the top of this same subforum for instructions on how to get your diagnostics using the command line, and post them.

Hello, thx for the replies. I updated from 6.5.1 to 6.5.2. The computer has an ip address. can ping and can access stuff on the server (plex, ect...) i am unable to access from any computer via name, ip or network. Im at a loss. I followed all Limeteck instructions.

3 minutes ago, Nitsuj said:

Hello, i am unsure where the "Ned Help" sticky is.

Look at the first page of the topic listing for the General Support forum (That is the one you just posted in).   It is the last sticky topic in the list. (Stickies are designed by a push-pin icon.)  It is actually the eighth one down from the top.  

• Like 1

You're right at the stated limit of 15 characters for the server name. According to syslog it looks like the server name is causing a problem for Unassigned Devices. Maybe that is the cause of your other problems as well. Try a shorter server name. You can manually edit the file config/ident.cfg on the flash drive to change it.

From here:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

==========================================

If you choose not to run the Update Assistant, you'll want to perform these steps manually: 

• Ensure your server name does not include invalid characters, or you will have problems in 6.5.x. Only 'A-Z', 'a-z', '0-9', dashes ('-'), and dots ('.') are allowed, and the name must be 15 characters or less. To fix this, go to Settings -> Identification and change the "Server name". (see this)

ok, still unable to access tower over ip/network.

plex now shows error shaka 9009 on every file  onl;y when i play them on the server. all other apps seem ok. i will check more of my media.

im lost

help superstars!

Edited by Nitsuj

I have changed the name of the server as requested. As for accessing the shares, i have tried on a win 7, 8.1 and 10, as well as an imac and mac min. cant access them any way or how. Plex plays the shares and seems to run.

i will try your suggestion about redoing the network set up.

thanks again

If that doesn't work use google to search the unRAID forums.  Use a search term like     unraid no access to shares after upgrade      Of course, as with all google searchs, using different terms will get different results.  (It turns out that google does a much, much better of providing useful search results than the forum's search engine!) 

• 3 weeks later...