[Support] Linuxserver.io - Calibre-Web

On 6/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, Phastor said:

I cannot for the life of me get Calibre-Web to see ebook-convert. I pulled the binary from a Calibre install, tossed it into /config within the container, and pointed Calibre-Web to the path to it. It's still reporting as not installed.

I consoled into the container to run "ebook-convert --version" to see if it was actually functional at all and it returned an error regarding missing modules. Does it require dependcies? Does Calibre as a whole have to be installed within the container?

Does anyone have this working? I would like to grab the executable from Calibre and toss it into my Calibre-Web instance like this poster is talking about, but it doen't work. It seems that ebook-convert has some dependencies.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:57 AM, saarg said:

Have you read the Readme on Github?

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-calibre-web

Cool. Thanks for the link.

So, the ebook-convert files are installed by default into /usr/bin. All I needed to do was to add "/usr/bin/ebook-convert" into the Path to convertertool. So far so good. The About page shows that the binary is recognized, and it displays the version number (4.14.0).

Unfortunately, when I try to convert a book, the process fails and displays a "Failed" status on the Tasks page.

2 hours ago, huladaddy said:

So, the ebook-convert files are installed by default into /usr/bin. All I needed to do was to add "/usr/bin/ebook-convert" into the Path to convertertool. So far so good. The About page shows that the binary is recognized, and it displays the version number (4.14.0).

Unfortunately, when I try to convert a book, the process fails and displays a "Failed" status on the Tasks page.

Did you add the variable to add the binary?

-e DOCKER_MODS=linuxserver/calibre-web:calibre

1 hour ago, nrobfd said:

When I try to register a new user or update the admin email address, it fails to validate saying "Please enter an email address".

There is nothing in the logs.

Tested it here and it's the same. Most likely a bug in calibre-web.

• 4 weeks later...

I have installed Calibre-web successfully using docker and OpenMediaVault 5.  I have an external drive connected with my books and the database created by Calibre desktop client. The library that Calibre created is in a folder called My Library. The database is called metadata.db and is in the root of that folder. I can’t figure out how to enter the path to the database on caliber-web. It says DB Location is not Valid, Please Enter Correct Path. I am not proficient with Linux commands and don’t know how to enter the path. Any help would be great! Thanks.

5 hours ago, Juanita Lanaux said:

I have installed Calibre-web successfully using docker and OpenMediaVault 5. 

Have you read the first post in this thread? Specifically this part?

On 5/30/2018 at 12:12 PM, linuxserver.io said:

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone experiencing issues with 068 update and nginx? The update seems to have broke things for me.

Doesn't look like an issue with the docker image so much as 068 as when I downgrade the container it works and then if I upgrade within the container it breaks again.

Edited by musicking
On 6/4/2020 at 3:23 AM, musicking said:

Anyone experiencing issues with 068 update and nginx? The update seems to have broke things for me.

Doesn't look like an issue with the docker image so much as 068 as when I downgrade the container it works and then if I upgrade within the container it breaks again.

Same here, my reverse proxy isn't working anymore after the latest update.  How did you go about downgrading the container if I may ask?

4 hours ago, ccruzen said:

Thank you!  Worked great and back to working!

Issue is fixed if you do the following:
remove proxy_set_header Host $http_host; from your calibre-web.subdomain.conf

Instead of the above, just remove /nginx/proxy.conf and restart letsencrypt docker

Edited by musicking
New Info
48 minutes ago, musicking said:

Issue is fixed if you do the following:
remove proxy_set_header Host $http_host; from your calibre-web.subdomain.conf

Instead of the above, just remove /nginx/proxy.conf and restart letsencrypt docker

Thanks for updating this.  I've followed your advice and it's working great.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cwl said:

This is driving me nuts.. I'm not sure anything changed, but calibre-web on Docker is now just broken when it was working two days ago just fine.

Docker on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS: 

Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           19.03.12
 API version:       1.40
 Built:             Mon Jun 22 15:45:36 2020
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Experimental:      false

Longtime calibre-web docker running .. found it down and attempted to recreate the container and can't get it running. Here are the startup logs (attempting to keep the amount of extraneous detail down): 

[mod-init] Attempting to run Docker Modification Logic
[mod-init] Applying linuxserver/calibre-web:calibre files to container
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-calibre-config: executing...
Creating symlinks...
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-meta to /usr/bin/ebook-meta
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre-smtp to /usr/bin/calibre-smtp
        Symlinking /app/calibre/lrs2lrf to /usr/bin/lrs2lrf
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-convert to /usr/bin/ebook-convert
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre-customize to /usr/bin/calibre-customize
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-viewer to /usr/bin/ebook-viewer
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre-debug to /usr/bin/calibre-debug
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-edit to /usr/bin/ebook-edit
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-device to /usr/bin/ebook-device
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibredb to /usr/bin/calibredb
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre to /usr/bin/calibre
        Symlinking /app/calibre/fetch-ebook-metadata to /usr/bin/fetch-ebook-metadata
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre-parallel to /usr/bin/calibre-parallel
        Symlinking /app/calibre/lrf2lrs to /usr/bin/lrf2lrs
        Symlinking /app/calibre/lrfviewer to /usr/bin/lrfviewer
        Symlinking /app/calibre/calibre-server to /usr/bin/calibre-server
        Symlinking /app/calibre/web2disk to /usr/bin/web2disk
        Symlinking /app/calibre/markdown-calibre to /usr/bin/markdown-calibre
        Symlinking /app/calibre/ebook-polish to /usr/bin/ebook-polish
Setting up command-line completion...
Installing zsh completion to: /usr/share/zsh/vendor-completions/_calibre
Failed to find directory to install bash completions, using default.
Installing bash completion to: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up completion failed with error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 834, in setup_completion
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 576, in write_completion
          File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
        ImportError: cannot import name QApplication

Setting up desktop integration...

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up desktop integration failed with error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 902, in setup_desktop_integration
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 887, in install_icons
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 877, in install_single_icon
          File "site-packages/calibre/linux.py", line 1221, in render_img
        ImportError: cannot import name QImage

Creating un-installer: /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall

There were 2 warnings

* Setting up completion failed with error:

* Setting up desktop integration failed with error:

--- Module installs continue.... 

Get:28 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 libgl1-mesa-glx amd64 19.2.8-0ubuntu0~18.04.3 [5,528 B]
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76, <> line 28.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Can't locate Term/ReadLine.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Term::ReadLine module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26 /usr/share/perl/5.26 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Readline.pm line 7, <> line 28.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
dpkg-preconfigure: unable to re-open stdin:
Fetched 24.3 MB in 3s (7,737 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libxxf86vm1:amd64.
(Reading database ... 11438 files and directories currently installed.)

--- Setups Continue----

[cont-init.d] 60-calibre-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

------ End of Log -------

So, seemingly the server is started, docker ps shows the port open, but the server is not alive. I don't have an external reverse proxy but I do run letsencrypt inside of a container for ssl updates. I'm wondering of those readline or dialog errors are related to something. Any sort of direction to look would help. Two days ago all this was working fine.

You are on the unraid support forum now. You are not using unraid, so post on our forum or join our discord for support.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, mehappy said:

Yes, same error regardless of if privileged or not.

Why not just bookmark the address for the users? That is the easiest way to access it.

I'm not sure why you post about Lazy librarian in a support thread for Calibre-web?

The issue you are running into is that non root users can't bind a port below 1024. Almost all containers we have, runs the application as the abc user.

You can also set up a reverse proxy for it.

Starting ebooks as a new project 🙂 Read through this thread and also Github, but not sure whether calibre-web can do what I am looking for. I have it largely workign with Ubooquity for now, but prefer to switch to Calibre-Web as I am starting to use more and more Calibre now. So, both in one hand seems better.

About my setup:

/books/comics [my comic libray, not managed by calibre, all nicely tagged crf files]

/books/ebooks [my ebook library, managed by calibre]

I have now setup calibre-web pointing to /books as library folder. Unfortunately, I don't get too far. Once I access the web gui, I am asked to enter the library confiiguration path. I cannot select anything.

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Starting ebooks as a new project 🙂 Read through this thread and also Github, but not sure whether calibre-web can do what I am looking for. I have it largely workign with Ubooquity for now, but prefer to switch to Calibre-Web as I am starting to use more and more Calibre now. So, both in one hand seems better.

About my setup:

/books/comics [my comic libray, not managed by calibre, all nicely tagged crf files]

/books/ebooks [my ebook library, managed by calibre]

I have now setup calibre-web pointing to /books as library folder. Unfortunately, I don't get too far. Once I access the web gui, I am asked to enter the library confiiguration path. I cannot select anything.

Any thoughts?

You need the database file from calibre and you should be able to to type that in the setup.

So the folder you set in that setup screen must have the calibre database.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Does this mean that calibre-web can only display books that are part of the calibre library? In this case, I may be better of to stay with ubooquity?

I have my ebooks in calibre, but I do have my tagged comics in a separate folder (not in the calibre, but currently served through ubooquity).

9 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks for your quick reply.

Does this mean that calibre-web can only display books that are part of the calibre library? In this case, I may be better of to stay with ubooquity?

I have my ebooks in calibre, but I do have my tagged comics in a separate folder (not in the calibre, but currently served through ubooquity).

You need a calibre database initially. After that, you can use calibre web to add books.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:23 AM, huladaddy said:

On 4/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, huladaddy said:

Yes, it's also included in the default configuration.

Did you ever get this working?