Reaching server by "tower/". Can this be used for other things?

Not sure where to post this exactly, so apologies if not the best spot for it.

I think it's really cool that the webUI makes itself reachable from "tower/" (or "server/" in my case) without any config on the network side.

How is this done?

Would it be possible to have other stuff reachable this way? (Plex container reachable at "plex/" or a MineOS container at "minecraft/")

My networking knowledge isn't fantastic, I'll be honest. I've tried looking at setting stuff up like this at the router level, but I can't seem to find a way to do it. 

I've done something functionally similar on my desktop via the hosts file, but the cool bit about this for me is that it just works, for anyone on the network, so I'd rather it not need per-device configuration.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or at least point me in the right direction?

Edited by -Daedalus

So Your unRAID server should be resolving via NETBIOS over TCIP, not DNS.  Without getting to in depth in what NetBIOS is, "In NetBIOS, each participant must register on the network using a unique name of at most 15 characters. In legacy networks, when a new application wanted to register a name, it had to broadcast a message saying "Is anyone currently using that name?" and wait for an answer. If no answer came back, it was safe to assume that the name was not in use."

Windows machines do this I am pretty sure by default.

to do what you want, you could use hosts file as you mention, or a DNS server.  Other than that, I know of no way to do what you want to do.