ESXI Shows High Mem Usage

I run a home server with ESXi that has a total of 32MB of ram in it to share across my VM's.  

For my unraid setup, I have allocated 4MB of memory for the the Unraid VM setup.   

In checking things today, my vsphere web client is warning of a high memory usage and the full 4MB being used.

But when I logged into my actual unraid web gui, it shows the memory usage is only at 23%?

My unraid setup is pretty basic, no dockers or plugins running.  Just a simple NAS setup.  Also parity checks are currently not running.

I would think/believe unraid is showing the memory usage correctly.  So why would ESXi give the warning and say the full 4MB is being used?

7 hours ago, uldise said:

i think you mean 4GB for unRAID VM?

per your sig i see you have IBM1015 - have you passed it to unRAID VM? if so, then your memory usage is just ok, cos you need to reserve all 4GB memory to VM in ESXi.. is that true?

Yes, I meant 4GB of memory, not 4MB(typo).    But why would having to pass the IBM1015 over to the VM have to do with affecting the memory usage?   Yes, I do have 1015 controllers being passed over, and actually have those configured as a JBOD with unraid seeing all disks nicely.

I'm just not sure why ESXi is giving me a high memory usage.  Are you saying passing the raid controllers over is doing that?  Unraid itself tells me the memory usage is only around 25 to 30%.

12 minutes ago, ptmuldoon said:

I'm just not sure why ESXi is giving me a high memory usage.  Are you saying passing the raid controllers over is doing that?  Unraid itself tells me the memory usage is only around 25 to 30%.

Yes, i passed my IBM1015 too to unRAID VM. just looked at my ESXi unRAID VM, i have 8GB memory assigned to it. and ESXI server reports:

- Active guest memory 8192MB

- Consumed Host memory 8250MB

if i look in unRAID, it reports memory usage 16%.

as i wrote, if you pass your HBA to unRAID, you need to reserve all assigned memory to that VM, so on Esxi side it will be always 100% memory usage.