[Support] spikhalskiy - ZeroTier

Just installed this on my unraid server. Any time I try to run a zerotier-cli command from the docker instance, I get a dozen lines of the following before the command results:

zerotier-cli: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: no version information available (required by zerotier-cli)

Any fix for this? Other then that, things look to be working well. I also installed it on my raspberry pi/pi-hole instance to use a bridge to get access to my whole internal network. Plan is to do the same on a second Pi at my parent's for remote access to their stuff.

1 hour ago, Caldorian said:

Just installed this on my unraid server. Any time I try to run a zerotier-cli command from the docker instance, I get a dozen lines of the following before the command results:

Any fix for this? Other then that, things look to be working well. I also installed it on my raspberry pi/pi-hole instance to use a bridge to get access to my whole internal network. Plan is to do the same on a second Pi at my parent's for remote access to their stuff.

Not I'm aware of, but I didn't spend any time resolving it. Stuff works just fine and it's safe to ignore.

If it bothers you to the extend of looking for a solution, contributions are welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated the ZeroTier docker.

When I from the ZeroTier docker console run "zerotier-cli -v" it seems like there is a problem with the version number.

It lookes like it is still version 1.6.6

/ # zerotier-cli -v
zerotier-cli: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: no version information available (required by zerotier-cli)

3 hours ago, Michael Kaaber said:

I have just updated the ZeroTier docker.

When I from the ZeroTier docker console run "zerotier-cli -v" it seems like there is a problem with the version number.

It lookes like it is still version 1.6.6

/ # zerotier-cli -v

The new release updated to version 1.8.2

Thank you 🙂

/ # zerotier-cli -v
/ # 

Edited by Michael Kaaber

...zt is an SDN...you are missing the routing information for the return path.

Define a route to your local home net in ZT-central ... use the zt IP of the Docker as gateway.

Note: in addition, should you wish to expose other hosts in your home network via zt, define a route to zt-network in your local router, with the local zt-Docker-IP as gateway.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

...zt is an SDN...you are missing the routing information for the return path.

Define a route to your local home net in ZT-central ... use the zt IP of the Docker as gateway.

Note: in addition, should you wish to expose other hosts in your home network via zt, define a route to zt-network in your local router, with the local zt-Docker-IP as gateway.

Ok, So being a noob at this stuff, the image below is what I interpreted. Is this correct? Or did I misunderstand? 

1162764018_2021-11-1817_24_11-Window.png.454cfb122d7b1028eed6d32534f602e6.png

Ok, so good to know i’ve done this correctly. the question I’d have then, are there other reasons this wouldn’t work? I have it setup as I posted and I cannot connect to it from my phone even though I can ping it. I can only ping the ZT IP (172.27.2.172) the local IP (192.168.0.110) just times out , though I assumed it would. I am expecting to be able to at the very least connect to the unraid server webui through the ZT IP address but that seems to not work. Any ideas? 

...use a custom bridge (br0) in the network settings of the zt Docker and give it an unique IP from your 192 168.0.0/24 network, but outside of the range which your router reserves for DHCP.

Edit: before doing that, check in your zt-client on your remote pc/phone that "allow managed routes" is checked/enabled in the settings there.
If not, then try that first.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G780G mit Tapatalk

So DHCP is set to 192.168.0.0/25 in my router. I changed the zerotier docker to Br0 and set the IP to 192.168.0.249 which is outside of the DHCP range to my knowledge. I can still ping my server ZT IP address from my phone and I cannot ping the 192.168.0.249 from my phone. Also trying to navigate to my Unraid Server ZT IP or the local IP both dont work. I also checked my phone to see if there is an allow managed routes option and there doesnt seem to be a toggle for IOS. As an additonal test I put my windows PC onto the ZT network and I am able to RDP into the PC from my phone through the ZeroTier IP so it seems that the issue lies inside of Unraid somewhere

2 hours ago, Archemedees said:

So DHCP is set to 192.168.0.0/25 in my router. I changed the zerotier docker to Br0 and set the IP to 192.168.0.249 which is outside of the DHCP range to my knowledge. I can still ping my server ZT IP address from my phone and I cannot ping the 192.168.0.249 from my phone. Also trying to navigate to my Unraid Server ZT IP or the local IP both dont work.

Hmmmm...I need to think about it...I am using it in a different environment, running a set of VLANs and my zt-Docker is on a complete different IP segment than unraid-net. Hence routing will always go via my route and accessing unraid-IP will not be direct.

You do have some kind of routing issue....maybe a docker security thing.

Can you test with a second docker on br0, with a different IP, like 192.168.0.250 and test if you can ping this from your phone?

If you can, then check in unraid Docker settings "Host access to custom networks" and set this to enabled.

I also checked my phone to see if there is an allow managed routes option and there doesnt seem to be a toggle for IOS.

...I am on Android, so cannot comment on this.

The thing behind is, that the client behind zt-net will be populated with routes, so it does know behind which gateway (zt-ip) your home-net is located. Without that, there is no way for the client to decide to point traffic towards your home via zt and not via I-Net.

As an additonal test I put my windows PC onto the ZT network and I am able to RDP into the PC from my phone through the ZeroTier IP so it seems that the issue lies inside of Unraid somewhere

Well, that is the real purpose behind the zt / SDN thing. and what the Docker is intended to be used for.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

Not I'm aware of, but I didn't spend any time resolving it. Stuff works just fine and it's safe to ignore.

If it bothers you to the extend of looking for a solution, contributions are welcomed!

Thanks. Upgraded to 1.8.2, issue is still there. But things are working correctly.

root@UnEVAN:~# docker exec -it ZeroTier zerotier-cli status
200 info 233970ce34 1.8.2 ONLINE

Don't know anything about building docker images, but this guy seems to have cleared it when he was getting the same error for a different container he was building.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else find that their unraid zerotier client drops offline for hours on end at random times?

I've got the client setup on both my unraid server, as well as a raspberry pi and other clients. On my pi configuration, I've got it setup to also be used as an inbound gateway for the same network my unraid server is on.

What I keep finding is that my pi and other clients are up and running without any issue, able to talk each other, etc. But there will be random times where my unraid zerotier client will go offline and stay that way for hours. Then it'll randomly come back online. And unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any logs or such with the container to be able to identify what the issue might be.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 7:02 AM, Caldorian said:

Anyone else find that their unraid zerotier client drops offline for hours on end at random times?

Not for hours but randomly every few minutes or so, my zerotier client on unraid will stop responding for around 30 seconds or so and then resume.

Pings to other networks, or other zerotier addresses are fine and do not have any connection problems. Pings to the ZT address on the unraid is the only one that has this problem.

I'm still looking for more logs or other clues as to what is going on.

Edited by caffeinated_tech

There's a couple bug fixes in 1.8.5 that could help with the stability of the connection (assuming I'm interpreting them correctly):

• Merge a series of changes by Joseph Henry (of ZeroTier) that should fix some edge cases where ZeroTier would "forget" valid paths.
  • Minor multipath improvements for automatic path negotiation.

Edited by Caldorian

So after months of it not working. i finally got a solution.

add the port 9993 to your container config and it suddenly starts working.

it needs the host network and the port.

can others confirm and if so can we get this added to the template please?

Edited by Wingmanos
forgot manners

@Wingmanos This doesn't make much sense. Zerotier needs 9993 port and it's true and was true all the way. Nothing need to be added to template or config for it to work, because this Zerotier image and template uses and requires "Host" network type (https://github.com/Spikhalskiy/docker-templates/blob/master/zerotier.xml#L34).

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.51.30 AM.png

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy

That is what i thought, i have been using zero tier for over a year with no issues. Then all of a sudden it stopped working.

I manually added the port along with keeping it local host and its now working. This is even after setting up a new unraid server to make sure i had not done anything wrong. i have confirmed this on both my main server and a second test.

Just figured this might help others if they have the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having issues setting up an Unraid to Unraid ZT network for off-site backups. I've got the community applications version installed on both servers, and both servers are currently on the same physical network until I get this working and can move one elsewhere.

On server A - ZT installs and tries to connect to the ZT network. It succeeds, but has a totally unpredictable uptime. Sometimes it'll stay connected a day, sometimes for 10 minutes. my.zerotier.com shows that it had been connected, I authorize it, and shows that it's just not online. I've tried reboot, fresh install, new ZT network, etc. Logs haven't been helpful at all.

Output from server A (Removed ZT Network ID) -

/ # zerotier-cli listnetworks
200 listnetworks <nwid> <name> <mac> <status> <type> <dev> <ZT assigned ips>
200 listnetworks dbXXXXXXXXXX95  96:1d:00:34:ab:9e REQUESTING_CONFIGURATION PRIVATE ztkseuc3dy -
200 listnetworks 9fXXXXXXXXXXf2 Fireflight f2:d5:a3:e7:1d:e7 OK PRIVATE ztuzezwewm 10.1.100.169/24
/ # zerotier-cli status
200 info fec4d9241b 1.8.2 OFFLINE
/ # zerotier-cli peers
200 peers
<ztaddr>   <ver>  <role> <lat> <link> <lastTX> <lastRX> <path>
62f865ae71 -      PLANET    -1 RELAY
778cde7190 -      PLANET    -1 RELAY
9f77fc393e 1.8.5  LEAF      -1 RELAY
cafe04eba9 -      PLANET    -1 RELAY
cafe9efeb9 -      PLANET    -1 RELAY
/ # 

Server B - This is the one I'll be moving off-site. I haven't had any issues with this one, ZT control shows it's online constantly.

Output from Server B (removed ZT Network ID) -

/ # zerotier-cli status
200 info b65b5961a1 1.8.2 ONLINE
/ # zerotier-cli listnetworks
200 listnetworks <nwid> <name> <mac> <status> <type> <dev> <ZT assigned ips>
200 listnetworks 9f7XXXXXXXXXXX2 Fireflight f2:9d:3c:67:58:5d OK PRIVATE ztuzezwewm 10.1.100.102/24
/ # zerotier-cli peers
200 peers
<ztaddr>   <ver>  <role> <lat> <link> <lastTX> <lastRX> <path>
0cd5db9b0b 1.8.2  LEAF      -1 RELAY
33b9213523 1.8.7  LEAF       2 DIRECT 6342     7673     192.168.1.132/9993
345c25e0e6 1.8.2  LEAF      -1 RELAY
562b69b5d4 1.8.2  LEAF      -1 RELAY
62f865ae71 -      PLANET   265 DIRECT 6342     1067     50.7.252.138/9993
6ab80a8212 1.8.7  LEAF       1 DIRECT 1865     1865     192.168.1.172/29994
778cde7190 -      PLANET    51 DIRECT 11347    1282     103.195.103.66/9993
9f77fc393e 1.8.5  LEAF      29 DIRECT 7921     7921     35.222.184.52/21015
b726b407e9 1.8.6  LEAF      -1 RELAY
cafe04eba9 -      PLANET   129 DIRECT 11347    1205     84.17.53.155/9993
cafe9efeb9 -      PLANET    64 DIRECT 7904     1272     104.194.8.134/9993
fec4d9241b 1.8.2  LEAF      -1 RELAY
/ # 

I can't think of what could possibly be different about the two. Server A has been around a while and is used for a lot of different apps, and Server B is built new. The only real issue I've caught over the last few weeks is that Server A's Routing Table (in unraid network settings) doesn't always show the proper routing for the ZT network, where as Server B does. However, even with proper routing rules in place, Server A doesn't have a reliable connection.

It's also worth pointing out that when Server A does get a connection to ZT, it's not able to ping Server B. 

Finally, the Unraid logs for Server A showed this when it last connected to the ZT network -

Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON root: /usr/sbin/winbindd -D
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON wsdd[19807]: set_multicast: Failed to set IPv4 multicast
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON wsdd[19807]: Failed to add multicast for WSDD: Address already in use
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON wsdd[19807]: set_multicast: Failed to set IPv4 multicast
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON winbindd[19816]: [2022/04/14 11:52:20.378088, 0] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_cache.c:3203(initialize_winbindd_cache)
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON winbindd[19816]: initialize_winbindd_cache: clearing cache and re-creating with version number 2
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON winbindd[19816]: [2022/04/14 11:52:20.378466, 0] ../../lib/util/become_daemon.c:135(daemon_ready)
Apr 14 11:52:20 UNICRON winbindd[19816]: daemon_ready: daemon 'winbindd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]: [2022/04/14 11:52:42.371489, 0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]: *****
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]:
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]: Samba name server UNICRON is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.17.0.1
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]: [2022/04/14 11:52:42.371560, 0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)
Apr 14 11:52:42 UNICRON nmbd[19800]: Samba name server UNICRON is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.1.100.169

I'm not really sure where to go for fixing this, the logs have been pretty unhelpful, I've read through this entire forum topic, and any help would be appreciated!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...