[Support] spikhalskiy - ZeroTier

4 hours ago, Max said:

could anyone help me with setting this im stuck with requesting configuration on android and not found status on windows and when i enter the command "zerotier-cli info or something" in docker's page i get zerotier-cli not found error.

In the docker terminal, type

which zerotier-cli 

which will tell you where the zerotier-cli program is installed. Its installation path isn't on the search path by default, so you'll need to cd to that path. IIRC, it is "/user/sbin/zerotier-cli", but I'm not 100% on that. Once you've CD'd to that directory, you can run the zerotier-cli * commands from the first post to get the info necessary to get other help.

Sorry, but that's about as far as my very limited knowledge will take you, but it's a start! :)

I keep having my main and backup server drop offline:

473212675_2019-09-0813_19_15-ZeroTierCentral.thumb.png.57c5bdf8e71d6da28cf20a5813e0227a.png

If I restart the docker, they will, of course come back up. On a couple of occasions, I've browsed to the ZT IP address from Win Explorer, and the server has responded, and my.zerotier will then show that it's online. Of course, this is NOT very helpful if I'm not at home and am trying to get access to the server.

This is all I see in unRAID's log for the ZT container:

200 join OK
200 join OK
200 join OK
200 join OK

Again, not very useful...

I'm running the default 1.2.12 build version on both of my servers. Any idea why this is happening or what I can do to fix it?

5 hours ago, FreeMan said:

I keep having my main and backup server drop offline:

473212675_2019-09-0813_19_15-ZeroTierCentral.thumb.png.57c5bdf8e71d6da28cf20a5813e0227a.png

If I restart the docker, they will, of course come back up. On a couple of occasions, I've browsed to the ZT IP address from Win Explorer, and the server has responded, and my.zerotier will then show that it's online. Of course, this is NOT very helpful if I'm not at home and am trying to get access to the server.

This is all I see in unRAID's log for the ZT container:

Again, not very useful...

I'm running the default 1.2.12 build version on both of my servers. Any idea why this is happening or what I can do to fix it?

I had something similar - so I used the userscripts plugin to restart it daily...

Content of the script: (hope it helps)

#!/bin/bash
docker restart ZeroTier

1 hour ago, spants said:

I had something similar - so I used the userscripts plugin to restart it daily...

Content of the script: (hope it helps)

#!/bin/bash
docker restart ZeroTier

Thanks for that suggestion @spants. Unfortunately, this seems to be bouncing at random...

It now reads:

Backup            Online

NAS                 Online

I had not restarted either docker, and when I first looked a minute ago after seeing your response, NAS, was 13 minutes since it had last been seen. By the time I'd quoted your message and typed that first bit of mine, it had come back online.

Is there any logging anywhere that is going to show me something more useful than "200 join OK" that might help diagnose the issue?

Update: Now they're showing offline for 6 and 4 minutes...

Edited by FreeMan
13 hours ago, Max said:

could anyone help me with setting this im stuck with requesting configuration on android and not found status on windows and when i enter the command "zerotier-cli info or something" in docker's page i get zerotier-cli not found error.

In the head post of the thread there are examples of specific commands that are working in this docker after opening a CLI to it:

./zerotier-cli info

./zerotier-cli listnetworks

./zerotier-cli listpeers

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy

@FreeMan It's really hard to tell, never had anything like that. You can get really a lot of useful information about the zerotier current state running these 3 commands:

./zerotier-cli info

./zerotier-cli listpeers

But Zerotier client doesn't produce a lot of logs at all, so it's hard to get a history of states and reasons of their changes. There is a build flag that allows to build Zerotier in a "trace" mode, but it's PITA.

Can you get an output of these commands when your servers are shown as off in Zerotier console? You obviously need to be in a local network for it. Also, are you sure that it's not legitimate network disruptions? Did you check this theory?

You also can give it a try and check 1.4.2 tag that I published for testing:

It works stably for me for a long time already.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:49 PM, FreeMan said:

In the docker terminal, type

which zerotier-cli 

which will tell you where the zerotier-cli program is installed. Its installation path isn't on the search path by default, so you'll need to cd to that path. IIRC, it is "/user/sbin/zerotier-cli", but I'm not 100% on that. Once you've CD'd to that directory, you can run the zerotier-cli * commands from the first post to get the info necessary to get other help.

Sorry, but that's about as far as my very limited knowledge will take you, but it's a start! :)

On 9/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

In the head post of the thread there are examples of specific commands that are working in this docker after opening a CLI to it:

./zerotier-cli info

./zerotier-cli listpeers

Sorry guys as i was coming down with fever i couldn't test that at that time and finally i tried running it again, my whole server became unaccessible.

First i reinstalled the docker but then just in seconds my server became unaccessible, i couldn't access the web ui  and shares. I had to hard reboot my server then i tried running allmy dockers one by one and finally when i launched zerotier docker, again my server became unaccessible, i couldn't even get ping from it. Basically as soon as zerotier starts running my whole server get dissconected.

@Max I don't have this problem, if you can debug it by attaching a keyboard and a display to your server and investigate why it's unavailable - could be useful, maybe some Zerotier bug on your specific configuration. There is a bug report from one of the users that 1.4.6 misbehaves on MacOS for him: https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne/issues/1030

Also, if you use the default app config now - you use the latest Zerotier version 1.4.6. To use the old bugfixed one (1.2.12) you can specify 1.2.12 tag in your Zerotier app configuration like "Repository: spikhalskiy/zerotier:1.2.12". It could make sense to rollback this way and test if the old version has the same problem on your host.

59 minutes ago, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

@Max I don't have this problem, if you can debug it by attaching a keyboard and a display to your server and investigate why it's unavailable - could be useful, maybe some Zerotier bug on your specific configuration. There is a bug report from one of the users that 1.4.6 misbehaves on MacOS for him: https://github.com/zerotier/ZeroTierOne/issues/1030

Also, if you use the default app config now - you use the latest Zerotier version 1.4.6. To use the old bugfixed one (1.2.12) you can specify 1.2.12 tag in your Zerotier app configuration like "Repository: spikhalskiy/zerotier:1.2.12". It could make sense to rollback this way and test if the old version has the same problem on your host.

okay i somehow fixed it, the only wierd thing that i noticed was that somehow on network that i created on myzerotier website had my local ips too under advanced - managed routes.

so now its connected, online and everything but still i can't access my server from outside lan.

/ # /usr/sbin/zerotier-cli info
200 info 98e11feb6d 1.4.6 ONLINE
/ # /usr/sbin/zerotier-cli listnetworks
200 listnetworks <nwid> <name> <mac> <status> <type> <dev> <ZT assigned ips>
200 listnetworks a0cbf4b62a6f77c6 agitated_baird c6:ef:8e:35:5d:99 OK PUBLIC ztc3qzxqpm 172.22.142.212/16
/ # /usr/sbin/zerotier-cli listpeers
200 listpeers <ztaddr> <path> <latency> <version> <role>
200 listpeers 34e0a5e174 147.75.92.2/443;12759;7505 253 - PLANET
200 listpeers 3a46f1bf30 185.180.13.82/443;12759;2499 254 - PLANET
200 listpeers 59f4bc8f9f 192.168.0.140/9993;733;95725 51 1.4.4 LEAF
200 listpeers 67ba976a71 192.168.0.185/9993;733;733 2 1.4.6 LEAF
200 listpeers 778cde7190 103.195.103.66/443;12759;2504 248 - PLANET
200 listpeers 992fcf1db7 195.181.173.159/443;1277;1138 139 - PLANET
200 listpeers a0cbf4b62a 34.94.79.198/21017;1277;1041 240 1.4.1 LEAF
/ # 

@Max 

> okay i somehow fixed it, the only wierd thing that i noticed was that somehow on network that i created on myzerotier website had my local ips too under advanced - managed routes.

It's the reason and that why I included this in the manual in the header: "if ZeroTier "Managed routes" intersect with your physical local IPs - better change Zerotier range to be different". I will edit the manual to make it more noticeable.

Looks like it's connected now and if it has "Online" status at the Zerotier website UI - everything is done right on the unraid side. Your diagnostic output looks also good.

Does the computer you try to access your unraid server from also has "Online" status in the Zerotier UI? Is it Authorized there also? Which IP address do you try to use for your connection? You should use IP in Zerotier network, not in the local network. Anything interesting in the tracert and ping output when you ping unRaid Zerotier IP from your client computer?

@Dmitry Spikhalskiy Just thought I'd let you know that whatever the issue was that was causing the servers to drop off the ZT network does seem to have resolved itself. This was even before you pushed 1.4.6 as a general update. Thanks to Auto-Update, they're both running 1.4.6 now and I've not had any issues.

This is greatly appreciated!! With my limited networking knowledge, it'll be much easier to get any new server users configured now, since I can have them install the ZT client on their machine instead of trying to get them through my LetsEncrypt-NGNIX/OpenVPN solution (which works, but it's been long enough since I configured it that I've forgotten what needs to be done :().

Just one question (I could probably read the ZT docs, but this is so much easier...) How do I configure the servers with a static IP address? Do I hit the little trash can next to the assigned IP then the + below it to add a static IP?

Edited by FreeMan
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow this is amazingly good and easy to use once I realized I just needed to access unraid  using the new virtual IP address that gets assign. sweet :)

Tiny quality of life question:

So far I’m just accessing webui’s for for other dockers using [new IP address]:port. Is there a way to have the regular container webui links work?

I’m guessing that I’d have to configure my existing containers to use host name instead of IP address (and my host name would need to work on my remote devices which I haven’t seen happen yet). Its all just working at the moment so perhaps I’ll just live with things as they are haha. Thanks for creating/maintaining this :)

Edited by SloppyG
  • 1 month later...

Good afternoon,

i am fairly new to Unraid and Zerotier,

i have managed to setup everything and i can log into my Unraid web interface using my phone, i have setup my phone, Unraid and my PC on Zerotier,

the issue i'm having and i don't know if its a simple issue or not or i'm trying to do something that isn't possible,

i am trying to log into my PC to view the network drives from there (unraid share folders) to see my data easier when i'm away from home, is there a better way to do this or am i setting something up wrong

I'm trying to setup an offsite backup via Docker, Duplicacy and ZeroTier and I wonder if anyone can provide a bit of assistance. Everything is straight forward really, the main question I have is in regards to isolating/securing the ZT/Duplicacy dockers to only each other and of course the client also via ZT.

Rather than a usual bridged or host network for ZT that allows access to the entire server, I'd like to isolate ZT and Duplicacy. Can this be done with br0/static IP's on the dockers? I suppose then they'd have access to the LAN unless I setup vlans on my router. Or would a vlan entry in the unraid routing table do it?

Is it possible to have ZT only route an ip/port and drop all other packets? I could leave the docker networks as is in that case. 

I could also run ZT/Duplicacy in a linux VM but that'll be my last resort.

Any ideas or best practice advise is much appreciated, and of course thanks to all the devs that make these things possible!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

Love the zerotier container, only running into one issue:
I've got two minecraft servers running on my unraid, one is managed by Pterodactyl (Game Panel) and the other is just the binhex one.

I can connect to the binhex one, but not the pterodactyl one (ofcourse they have different ports and yes, I changed the port in Minecraft) - the only difference I see is that the Pterodactyl container is using a custom network as opposed to the bridge network the binhex container is using...

Is this the issue? If so, how can I make it work with this custom network?

What I've tried:

- Change the network of the ZeroTier container => No differences

- Restarting everything => No differences