[Support] spikhalskiy - ZeroTier

On 11/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

@air1kdf this container does exactly that on every start. If this command helped you, you either put an incorrect networkId in the container settings or a simple restart of the container would also help. 

I got the container working. However the join command does not seem to work at all in the startup. You have to manually run the join with the networkID to make it work. 

I checked the connected networks and none were available. But after running the join command it works. So clearly there is something wrong with that part of the container. 

It works, but certainly not user error when the unraid NETWORKID section is seemingly not even being used. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Dmitry,

I noticed that your repository the Unraid template is based on is now a public archive; are you continuing to maintain the template?

---

I have some issues using Time Machine through ZeroTier. I have your container running, and next to it I have mbentley/timemachine to arrange my time machine needs. It has been set up nearly identically to the post you can find here. Now, when I'm in the same network as my Unraid server, TIme Machine works fine. But when I try to do it externally via ZeroTier, my Mac can't find `timemachine.local`. I'm assuming this has something to do with that the time machine container is set to the `br0` network and ZeroTier is set to the `host` network.

I can't put the Time Machine container on the `host` network, since there already is an SMB server there that's screaming out the local domain name with mDNS, and putting the ZeroTier container on `br0` makes it so ZeroTier doesn't function properly. Any tips or tricks on what magic I have to pull to get it to behave?

Thanks for your effort!

A repository this Dockerfile builds from is: https://github.com/Spikhalskiy/zerotier-unraid-docker and it's not archived.

I archived repo with a Dockerfile that was actually building a base underlying image. Now there is an actively maintained zyclonite/zerotier image and I switched on it as a base image and just adapt it for Unraid.

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dmitri,

Just started to use this app. Pretty cool IF it works. But it does not on my unraid.

zerotier-cli info
200 info efaa0d8xxx 1.10.2 OFFLINE

/ # zerotier-cli listnetworks
200 listnetworks <nwid> <name> <mac> <status> <type> <dev> <ZT assigned ips>
200 listnetworks d3ecf5726d5xxxx  7a:39:fb:60:ff:45 REQUESTING_CONFIGURATION PRIVATE ztuga2jjau -
/ # zerotier-cli listpeers
200 listpeers <ztaddr> <path> <latency> <version> <role>
200 listpeers 62f865ae71 - -1 - PLANET
200 listpeers 778cde7190 - -1 - PLANET
200 listpeers cafe04eba9 - -1 - PLANET
200 listpeers cafe9efeb9 - -1 - PLANET

Choose internal IP 10.147.20.*

my real internal Ip is 192.168.x.x

what ive done so far =

reinstall after deleting the appdata folder

created new network

add the ID while creating new app

still it does not work

tested on my win laptop

its working 

but not in unraid

can you help me pls

Edited by safiedin

So it seems to be working perfectly for me, except that the container just randomly stops itself periodically.  Sometimes I'll try to access my stuff remotely, and it doesn't work.  When I check the unraid dashboard, sure enough, the container is "stopped".

Any idea what could be causing this?  The log shows a whole lot of nothing, just several entries of "200 join OK".

I have autostart ON of course.

@Elmojo Shouldn't be happening. Next time it happens, try to check the logs of the container. They are available by clicking on the icon in the Docker tab and choosing Logs.

Also, check the logs on your UnRaid server too around the time it happens.

Some IO problem or a crash on your specific configuration may be causing it.

Edited by Dmitry Spikhalskiy
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dmitry Spikhalskiy said:

Next time it happens, try to check the logs of the container. Click on the icon in the Docker tab and choose Logs.

I checked it just today, and like I said, it never says anything except "200 join OK".  Is there a more verbose log available somewhere?

As for the unraid log, I'll have to wait until it fails again. I don't monitor the server every day, nor do I use ZT super often, so it often has failed many days prior, and I just hadn't noticed it.  For example, this last time, it appears that it's been down for 10 days.  My unraid log only appears to cover the past few hours, so I'm not sure that would be much help.  lol

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way!

On 3/9/2023 at 2:57 PM, Elmojo said:

I checked it just today, and like I said, it never says anything except "200 join OK".  Is there a more verbose log available somewhere?

As for the unraid log, I'll have to wait until it fails again. I don't monitor the server every day, nor do I use ZT super often, so it often has failed many days prior, and I just hadn't noticed it.  For example, this last time, it appears that it's been down for 10 days.  My unraid log only appears to cover the past few hours, so I'm not sure that would be much help.  lol

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way!

There were severe connectivity issues between ZeroTier 1.10.4 Linux-based clients and 1.10.4 Windows clients that forced them to fix and release a newer updated 1.10.5 version of the clients that now no longer has these issues.

Try updating your PC's ZeroTier client to the latest 1.10.5 client.

2 hours ago, iball said:

There were severe connectivity issues between ZeroTier 1.10.4 Linux-based clients and 1.10.4 Windows clients that forced them to fix and release a newer updated 1.10.5 version of the clients that now no longer has these issues.

Try updating your PC's ZeroTier client to the latest 1.10.5 client.

I'll do that, but my issue is with the ZT docker shutting down randomly on the server side, not anything on my windows machine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 8:28 PM, Elmojo said:

I'll do that, but my issue is with the ZT docker shutting down randomly on the server side, not anything on my windows machine.

Weird.  Mine's never done that.  Make sure there's nothing else using the ports the container is trying to use.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 10:18 PM, Elmojo said:

Doesn't seem to be. 

ZT had been stable the past couple weeks.  Maybe it was just a glitch?  I'll keep an eye on it. 

So here we go again. 

I was unable to access ZT this morning, so I went to check the dockers, and sure enough, ZT has turned itself off again.

I pulled up the logs, and the only thing I see that's suspect is several lines similar to this: 
"WARNING: unable to write to file: /var/lib/zerotier-one/peers.d/7f7e78d63e.peer (unable to open)"

followed by about 10-15 lines of "200 join ok"

Any of this help anyone?

• 1 month later...

I installed Zerotier docker with no issues for weeks. UNRAID server and its shares were visible in windows explorer on all PCs. Now the server and its shares cannot be seen or mapped. Zerotier central shows the server is connected and it can be successfully pinged.

Log shows this:

connect: Host is unreachable
200 join OK

etc

etc

All PC versions are 10.5 or 10.6, docker is 10.2

Could this be after upgrading to UNRAID Version: 6.12.0-rc6?

I have a Win10 VM running on the server, also running Zerotier, that "machine" is visible and works fine.

I need a solution to this, any help is appreciated.

HI, maby i have a similar problem.

im using Zerotier for almost 2 Years to connect my Tablet, Win 10 Laptop, Win 10 PC, Android Handy to my Unraid Server.

i was able to do everything on the Server like i was in my home network LAN/WLAN.

after the Unraid Update, Nothing works.

for a moment i was able to connect via the IPv4 Adress to the PLEX page in Firefox

>>UPDATE<<

I downgraded my server to UNRAID 6.11.5 to see if it would fix the issue. It did. I had to remove and reinstall Zerotier, but the server and shares are now visible as they were before.

For now I would rather have version 6.11.5 and working shares until a fix or update is available.

3 minutes ago, JLKunka said:

I downgraded my server to UNRAID 6.11.5 to see if it would fix the issue. It did.

Thanks so much for this confirmation!
I was on the fence about upgrading to 6.12, but this made up my mind to wait a bit longer. 

I just can't risk breaking compatibility with certain key containers I rely on, such as this one!

15 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

Thanks so much for this confirmation!
I was on the fence about upgrading to 6.12, but this made up my mind to wait a bit longer. 

I just can't risk breaking compatibility with certain key containers I rely on, such as this one!

Downgrading nuked another docker (Syncthing), still checking for other consequences.