Replacing HDD

Hello

I would like to replace all my seagate archives HDD on something more reliable model like ironwolf or red.

i now have 8TB seagate archives and would like to replace all of them, with 8TB (or maybe 10TB depends on the price) seagate ironwolf or WD red.

What is the simplest method?

If i add a new HDD in the pool, is there a way to empty all the contents of an older HDD to the new HDD?

Edited by volume
4 minutes ago, volume said:

What is the simplest method?

Establish dual parity if you don't already have it, then simply physically replace each drive one at a time, rebuilding as you go. The reason for dual parity is that it keeps you protected from another disk failure while you intentionally fail and rebuild the disks one at a time.

6 minutes ago, volume said:

If i add a new HDD in the pool, is there a way to empty all the contents of an older HDD to the new HDD?

Not automatically, but you can use rsync or mc at the console, or krusader docker with the correct mappings.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Establish dual parity if you don't already have it, then simply physically replace each drive one at a time, rebuilding as you go. The reason for dual parity is that it keeps you protected from another disk failure while you intentionally fail and rebuild the disks one at a time.

Not automatically, but you can use rsync or mc at the console, or krusader docker with the correct mappings.

thanks!

I already have dual parity, but it takes 30+ hours for parity check..

so it would take almost 15 days (8 x 30+ hours) of constantly rebuilding.
because of the high stress of the disks, isn't this method very risky?

It may be some ricky as all disk read stress long peroid for rebuilding 8 disks, if use mc or rsync for disk to disk move, it may take longer time to complete but less stress was true.

For me, I would do it in maintenance mode and each time replace 2 drive.