Mini-pcie to PCI express x 16 with ASUS XG-C100C 10Gbe

Hi Guys,

My ASRock B150M-ITX/D3 comes with 1 x PCiex16 slot which I am currently using with a IBM SAS M1015 card. I wanted to add a ASUS XG-C100C 10Gbe into the setup but the only free slot that I have onboard is a mini pcie. I found these mini pcie to pcie x 16 riaser / converter boards here:

I was wondering if anyone had experiance with these working in unraid in conjunction with a SAS card like the IBM SAS M1015 card or the  ASUS 10GBE card

My preffered option is:

1. Move the IBM 1015 to the converter board above and utilise the MB pcie slot for the 10 GBe card as the SAs cable is internal.

or 

2. flip it the other way

or

3.  remove the IBM 1015 out of the equasion and use the mini pcie with a mini pcie to SATA 4 port card instead as this would give me (5 x sata onboard and 4 additional which should be enough for my setup)

So unsure if these 2 cards mentioned above would work or have any bandwidth issues etc.

OR

4. Change the motherboard to a mini-dtx board as my case is Lian Li PC-Q25 which has 2 x pxie slots, Can someone reccomend a board with a socket 1151 with 2 pcie slots to rrun both cards and atleast 4 or 5 onboard sata 3  ports

any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Konrad

Edited by majorspawn

B150 have remove in ASROCK web. The only one ASRock B150M could found seems haven't mini PCIe, just have the pad without socket. There are also no mention about mini-PCIe in offical manual.

2nd, I don't think you have enough space to install those adapter. Only limited space available for the add-on card in DTX slot.

Look here, https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150M-ITXD3/index.asp

The mini pcie socket is on RHS of the 5 sata ports.

I ended up purchasing the SATA 4 port card instead

is anyone able to verify if the card would work with Unraid?

the spec for the MB states that the minipcie port is for  "**This Mini-PCI Express Slot supports WiFi and mSATA devices" I took the risk assuming that it woudl work with the marvel SATA board above?

Also if most of these Mpcie ports are reserved for wifi or Msata devices how do people get these working with the Pciex16 raiser cards and video cards?

Thanks,

Konrad

Marvel SATA controller must avoid for unRAID, some people have problem but not all. You may search post will got answer.

For mini-pcie, I have quick check the pin assignment, you will found beside pcie signal, there are also other functionarity, so if in simple say if MB maker not route the pcie signal to the socket, then it won't have pcie function. Anyway now should go M2, I know your MB no M2.

Edited by Benson

Should be work, but will celling at 400MB/s+ if it is pcie 2.0.

Suggest dont expect too much with 10gbe, especially work with normal HDD.

The suggest raiser, also seems couldnt install with add-on in DTX slot.

Edited by Benson
12 hours ago, Benson said:

Suggest dont expect too much with 10gbe, especially work with normal HDD.

Then main reason when at earlier times move from 100 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s networks wasn't that a single HDD could make full use of the increased bandwidth. The main reason was that a single HDD could transfer at full speed and the NIC still had bandwidth to handle other actions.

Same when people are now moving to 10 Gbit/s. If streaming 200+ MB/s from one disk, you can still draw data from a different disk without directly having to steal back bandwidth from the first transfer.

So in the end, it isn't very important if the machine can make use of the final 50% of the network link capacity, but that the machine can make use of the second, third and fourth gbit/s of the additional capacity of the link. It isn't that important if the card slot can handle the full bandwidth of the 10 Gbe as long as the card slot can handle a couple of times the bandwidth of a 1 Gbe card.

Your statement only valid in ideal case.

1. Not whole disk were 200MB/s+, most disk at outer area just ~100MB/s

2. iperf test can easy got 10Gbps, but practical not.

My lartest hardware build haven't add a 10Gbe NIC even it less then 50USD.

Edited by Benson

10gb makes sense in corner cases, such as mine where I have a Gig internet connection and can cap it out when downloading, so having head-room to be able to stream to devices in the house even when flirting with the 1G line makes sense to me.

If you have 2 1G ports, bonding will also solve 99% of the corner cases, if each client maxes out at 1G including internet then with 2G bonded you would be able to download at line speed if you had a Gig plan and write at line speed to an SATA SSD while leaving head room for streaming.  NVMe may change that...but really, 2x client BW should be enough in nearly all cases.

5 hours ago, Benson said:

Your statement only valid in ideal case.

1. Not whole disk were 200MB/s+, most disk at outer area just ~100MB/s

2. iperf test can easy got 10Gbps, but practical not.

My lartest hardware build haven't add a 10Gbe NIC even it less then 50USD.

It's true most disks can't deliver 200 MB sustained from any location - but it's when the disk do handle 200 MB/s that it's good to have a network interface that isn't limited at 110 MB/s. And where the disk transfer doesn't need to slow down if you activate a second disk transfer to some other disk.

That's why it's very good to have the network capable of 300-400 MB/s total capacity. Even more network capacity doesn't matter so much right now, because it's too few situations where it's possible to get the machine to actually need more than 3-4 Gbit/s bandwidth.