Threadripper 2!

Hi all,

I’m considering going TR2 despite all the issues TR1 had with Unraid, in the pursuit of science. I wanted to kickstart a thread discussing a couple key components, such as CPU splits prioritizing cores directly linked to the DDR4, using 64 threads, staying on the x399 platform, etc. 

Example:

Proud owner of 2 streamers 1 1700x (runs perfectly well), thinking of upping it to 5 on a 2950x. Concerns on that memory overhead are definitely real, but I’m not sure how to approach them. As for power, I’ve found that often the CPU goes underused, since you reserve some cores to Unraid that go underutilized. At the end of the day, smartly assigning cores will do the build a lot of good.

I've been considering this as well, but according to Anandtech the base clock on the 2xxx TRs is 3.0 and right now they are only able to get to 3.4 boost...that's the base of the current versions.  I'm not sure if this is just because it is early in sampling or what, but for VMs I'd want at least the base clock of the current generation so I can game...the TR is already a single-core speed hit against the Intel chips, combined with 16 cores not having direct memory access and I'm firmly in the "waiting for benchmarks" camp.

Now what I AM considering is getting one of the new generations of X399's that will be able to support the TR2 comfortably and putting a 1950x on it...so I have options down the road.

Edited by Tybio

Decided on a prev gen 1950x, since the memory access could play weirdly with latencies.  Also they're @ 700 in Microcenter, looks like the Unraid bugs have been worked out, lots of plusses.  

I support anyone's decision to go gen 2, maybe the cross-die memory access latency even proves to be negligible.  I remember when talking with Jon we had a chat about cross-CCX core reservation performance.  After benchmarking in video games (my main usecase) I found the differences to be smaller than a reasonable margin of error (not digging out the email rn).  

• 1 month later...

Thinking of doing a TRI/TRII (1950x/2950x) for a client.

Mainly going to be Data Storage / Backup Archiving and a VM host for a Domain Controller w/ Active Directory, & Client Workstations.  Likely some light docker apps like Crashplan, and Cloud sharing, (Need to look into that one too).

I'd like to read up on the issues, and work around associated with the TR platform and unRAID.

Would any of you fine folks be able to provide some links to Threads here in the forums that I might be able to start wrapping my head around?

On 7/14/2018 at 8:22 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

No real problems anymore, just don't cheap out on RAM.

I've had smooth sailing with my build which has run 24/7 for a few months now, build linked in my signature.

This is very good to hear. I was going to abandon my plan with 2990X for dual 16core system, but I trust it's doable now then. Just have to wait good, solid mobo to handle all the tasks I need to. 

On 7/14/2018 at 6:22 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

No real problems anymore, just don't cheap out on RAM.

I've had smooth sailing with my build which has run 24/7 for a few months now, build linked in my signature.

Snap.

Not had a single issue since the initial tweaking during the build phase, I run dockers (8 in total) 24/7 and 2 VM's 24/7. one of which runs blue iris CCTV software, the other is my daily driver.  I have 1 VM running on a gfx card and the unraid on another gfx card (2 monitors), allowing a VM to be in use with another monitor for the unraid control.

I have 6 HDD's, 1x NVME passed over to VM's and a 2TB HDD passed over to VM for CCTV recording.

What I will say is DEFINITELY read up and buy the correct ram. Mine is running slow as I haven't the opportunity to tweak settings and I feel the performance hit compared to other benchmarks.

23 hours ago, Greygoose said:

What I will say is DEFINITELY read up and buy the correct ram. Mine is running slow as I haven't the opportunity to tweak settings and I feel the performance hit compared to other benchmarks.

I have 4x16GB Gskills coming along. Those are verified Bdie so there should be no issue to run with the 'The Stilt profile', which seems to be best non extreme OC and should be stable with all 2gen Ryzen.