UNRAID 6.5.2 - Unable to resolve unraid server hostname

Hi,

Have an issue where I cannot seem to be able to resolve the hostname of my unraidserver from other Windows machines on my network.

I can ping and access via IP address but not the defined servername "unraidserver".

From what I can see it would appear that this issue is related to the "Bridge Mode", and maybe the Metric value under network settings, but just don't understand enough to resolve.

Hoping someone here can help.

Interesting is when I do a ping -a it comes back with a docker name that is using the bridge.

Pinging unifi [192.168.1.8] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.8: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.1.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.1.8: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=63

root@unraidserver:/boot/config# more network.cfg
# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BRNICS[0]="eth0"
DESCRIPTION[0]="unraidserver"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.8"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
METRIC[0]="10"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.1"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
VLANID[0,1]="10"
DESCRIPTION[0,1]="unrestricted"
PROTOCOL[0,1]="ipv4"
METRIC[0,1]="242"
VLANID[0,2]="20"
DESCRIPTION[0,2]="sharedservices"
PROTOCOL[0,2]="ipv4"
METRIC[0,2]="213"
VLANS[0]="3"
SYSNICS="1"

root@unraidserver:/boot/config# hostname
unraidserver
root@unraidserver:/boot/config# hostname -i

17 hours ago, trurl said:

FTFY

Thanks ...

I know I can edit the hosts file, but since I have a few windows machines it is a little onerous.

Also read the Windows Issues sticky and tried the SMB Master settings.   Annoying as it was actually all working as expected a while back, then stopped after I installed and setup the bridge mode and ran a Windows VM.

14 hours ago, rennige said:

Thanks ...

I know I can edit the hosts file, but since I have a few windows machines it is a little onerous.

Also read the Windows Issues sticky and tried the SMB Master settings.   Annoying as it was actually all working as expected a while back, then stopped after I installed and setup the bridge mode and ran a Windows VM.

Ok..  So end result is that I presume my network setup is too complicated with VLANS, Bridging, etc.

The way I managed to get it working was to remove the static IP address assignment from my unraid box.  I then assigned a static lease on my router (ubiquiti usg).

This also seems to be now working for the VM.

• 1 year later...

Static lease on the router is the best solution in my opinion.

In my case it worked for me although there was one additional 'gotcha'. I had previously changed the UNRAID > Network Settings > IPv4 Address Assignment from Automatic to Static IP, which broke my host name resolution, then I changed it back to Automatic, but before doing so, I had to also clear the IPv4 value. Otherwise hostname resolution failed for me even with a static lease on the router, unless the lease was within the Router's DHCP range.