Ideal drive set up?

I'm currently building a T30 home server and have decided on using unraid. I will be installing an Ubuntu server on VM among others and will mostly use this server for Plex.

It only has two 2.5" and four 3.5" SATA slots so I was thinking of doing the following:

1. 2.5" - WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB PC SSD (cache)

2. 2.5" - WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB PC SSD (RAID1 mirror cache)

3-5 3.5" - HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache (data)

6. 3.5" - HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache (parity)

I'd appreciate any feedback ?

Edited by s.lamoureux

I'd strongly suggest going for the largest array drive you can afford, and only get 2 to start. 4TB is way more per $/TB than 8, and comparable to 10 and 12.

Filling all the bays from the start in a limited space enclosure isn't good economics unless your media collection exactly fits what you purchase now and will never expand. I'd get 2 large drives initially, then only purchase more storage when you need it.

• Upvote 1

For less than $200 more I'm building a dual E5-2650v2 w/ 32GB RAM instead and shucking a couple externals so I'll only need 2 of the HGST to start off with. Gotta love reddit/eBay! Parts are on the way, can't wait to start messing around in unRAID. 

Edited by s.lamoureux