Planning out new unRaid build

I've been slowly planning my first unRaid build and I would like input.

Hardware is from my old desktop pc, which is:

i5-2500k

8 gb ddr 3 ram

MSI z77 motherboard

Will it work to start the array with 2x10tb red drives, where 1 is the parity. When I have dumped the data from my current disks onto the array 1 by 1 I will add them. They are 2x 6tb wd red pro, 1x 4tb seagate nas disk and 1x 500gb 850 evo for cache. Can I add the cache drive later as I plan to do? How long does it take to expand the array when adding a new disk?

How do you pre-clear new harddrives. Are you doing this in your desktop before installing them your array?

My usecases are fairly simple:

Basic filesharing

Kodi through SMB share. See more on this below

A few dockers, where 1 is for a Debian filesystem

I will be running a FTP server on the Debian filesystem. How will this work if the ingoing transfers are going to the cache drive? Can the files on the array disks and cache drive appear in the same folderstructure? Also if I run a mover script does the cache drive function simultaneously with new incomming files while the "old" files are being moved?

Regarding Kodi. This might require it's own topic, as I can see there are a few on the subject of Kodi. When running Kodi on my desktop and my Smart TV's embebbed APP, it is a pain to keep both updated with metadata from the movies/tv shows I might add. Is it possible to run kodi from the server and just play the files from my tv, computer, ie? Or is there a smarter way to do it?

Now, I have no experience with unRaid other than reading inhere and watching alot of Youtube. Can this be done?

unRAID only requires a disk to be clear when adding it to a new slot in an array with valid parity. This is so parity will remain valid.

You could just use the manufacturer's test utility to test the new disks on your PC. The old disks you could just let unRAID clear them as you add them. If they have good SMART then they should be OK.

I would go ahead and put cache in as soon as possible. No user share will use it until you configure them to. And it will be simpler to get dockers and VMs setup if you start with a cache disk instead of adding it later.

Not sure what you mean by a docker for a Debian filesystem. Maybe you mean a VM to run Debian in. If this is just for FTP there are dockers to do FTP so no need for a full-blown VM.

User shares are the way unRAID allows folders to span disks. And cache is included with the other disks in User shares.

See here for the finer details of the vaious "Use cache" settings:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

• Like 1