Sub-folder on it's own disk

I have a 'MediaServer' share that is huge. It is set to use all disks and it's using 3 at the moment.

Inside that, i have:

/MediaServer/music

/MediaServer/movies

/MediaServer/TV

and a few other folders.

When I'm using the plex android app, and i'm connected by bluetooth to a speaker, there is a long delay between tracks, I suspect that the drives are spinning down or something, so my plan was to move the music folder to it's own disk that is set to never spin down.

Is there a way to do that and keep the folder inside the /MediaServer/ share? If not I can add a new share forced to a specific disk, move the data with unbalanace, and re-add the folder into plex again.

I could move the folder to the required disk, but as the share is set to use any disk, at any time it could be moved again i guess..

The issue raised is one that causes many users to decide to have separate shares for different media types because they want different settings for each media types.

if you are primarily concerned about using a single share for reading the media rather than storing it there is a ‘trick’ you can use.

• store each media type in its own share.   This allows to have settings specific to that media type.  If it is more convenient such shares can be set so that they are ‘hidden’ at the network level so you need to know their name to access them.   
  • create symbolic links in the MediaServer share pointing to the Music, Movie and TV shares.   This will allow you to navigate into the other shares as though they were part of the MediaServer share to provide a unified read view.

Using this approach does require on you applying the discipline of using the correct share for each media type when you copy it onto the unRAID server rather than going via the MediaServer share.

Edited by itimpi