Mirroring shares on multiple drives

I'm helping a friend setting up an Unraid NAS. Being a student he's on a tight budget and does not want to spend the extra money for a parity drive.

He now has two 4TB drives for the array, a total of 8TB. Of that, only 3-400GB is important data, and the rest media files that aren't that important.

Is there a plug-in or docker that can simply mirror a share across both drives, and possibly also to a smaller unassigned USB HDD, thus securing the 3-400GB of important data in case one drive fails?

13 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Touche..... but why make life difficult for him/yourself. Someone will be along later with more relevant advice i'm sure although, from experience, i'll be surprised if some is not along similar lines. UnRaid without parity, why?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Why not?

It's a great NAS OS.. and if one only has the need for a small amount of data to be secured, and being on a tight budget, it actually makes perfect sense.

Edited by _jonte

Mirror != backup. Use a real versioning backup to media that doesn't reside in the same spot for important files. Duplicati docker in Community Apps will do exactly what you want, and you can configure many different types of backup destinations.

A backup should never be in the same case on the same power supply, and ideally should be as distant as practical.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Mirror != backup. Use a real versioning backup to media that doesn't reside in the same spot for important files. Duplicati docker in Community Apps will do exactly what you want, and you can configure many different types of backup destinations.

A backup should never be in the same case on the same power supply, and ideally should be as distant as practical.

Thanks, Duplicati looks like a good option. Will look into that more...

Was just reading about rclone which looked good too.

Would Duplicati be better for this than rclone?