unRAID OS version 6.5.3 available

To upgrade:

• If you are running any 6.4/6.5 stable release or any 6.4-rc/6.5-rc release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Tools/Update OS page.
  • If you are running a pre-6.4 release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page.
  • If the above doesn't work, navigate to Plugins/Install Plugin, select/copy/paste this plugin URL and click Install:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer.plg

Refer also to @ljm42 excellent 6.4 Update Notes which still are helpful if you are upgrading from a pre-6.4 release.

In terms of code changes, this is a very minor release; however, we changed a significant linux kernel CONFIG setting that changes the kernel preemption model.  This change should not have any deleterious effect on your server, and in fact may improve performance in some areas, certainly in VM startup (see below).  This change has been thoroughly tested - thank you! to all who participated in the 6.5.3-rc series testing.

Background: several users have reported, and we have verified, that as the number of cores assigned to a VM increases, the POST time required to start a VM increases seemingly exponentially with OVMF and at least one GPU/PCI device passed through.  Complicating matters, the issue only appears for certain Intel CPU families.  It took a lot of work by @eschultz in consultation with a couple linux kernel developers to figure out what was causing this issue.  It turns out that QEMU makes heavy use of a function associated with kernel CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=yes to handle locking/unlocking of critical sections during VM startup.  Using our previous kernel setting CONFIG_PREEMPT=yes makes this function a NO-OP and thus introduces serious, unnecessary locking delays as CPU cores are initialized.  For core counts around 4-8 this delay is not that noticeable, but as the core count increases, VM start can take several minutes(!).

This release also brings us up-to-date with the latest LTS kernel and fixes a handful of bugs.

Version 6.5.3 2018-06-12

Linux kernel:

• version 4.14.49
  • set CONFIG_PREEMPT=no and CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=yes

Management:

• Small update to create_network_ini to suppress progress information when using cURL.
  • update smartmontools drivedb and hwdata/{pci.ids,usb.ids,oui.txt,manuf.txt}
  • webgui: Remove unused tags from docker templates
  • webgui: apcups: ensure numeric fields are 0 if the values are empty
  • webgui: bug fix: prevent deleting user template when (letter case) renaming a docker container
  • webgui: Strip HTML from back-end
  • webgui: make entire menu items clickable for gray and azure themes

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, jpowell8672 said:

My bad luck figures, server was on 6.5.3-rc2 running fine then upgraded to 6.5.3 stable and rebooted to "boot error". I have tried turning on and off several times now with same "boot error" result, now how do I fix it?

Make a copy of the config folder from flash. Prepare flash as for a new install. Copy config folder back.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, trurl said:

Make a copy of the config folder from flash. Prepare flash as for a new install. Copy config folder back.

Thanks trurl, I got Unraid back up running. I first tried in Arch linux using make_bootable_linux but it had error and did not work. Then I thought I would give LimeTechs Unraid creator tool a shot just to test it out and that had error could not connect to s3amazon server .json error so that didn't work. So then I just used the .bat included in zip on Windows 7 laptop and that finally worked. Is it just me or does the make_bootable_linux not work on Arch linux correctly and as for Unraids USB creator tool error is that just me also, I had working internet connection? Thanks for the help.

Upgraded from 6.5.2, everything seems OK, thank you all for the hard and good work.

Two minor issues though:

- FCP alerts that an O.S. update is available, but points out to the plugins page, not to Tools/Update OS page.

(Yeah I should put it in the "applicable support thread", but I'm lazy ?)

- After a download of a new O.S. version, there is no longer a message on the main tab that an O.S. update is pending.

It would be really great to get scrolling in pop-up windows, so that on tablets I know when the process completes. I only ever see the first few lines and if I scroll, it scrolls the page behind the pop-up. ?

At at the moment I just wait 5 mins and click the Red Cross, hoping it’s finished in time. this is is on an iPad Pro 12.9, but I’m sure it happens on other tablets. It also happens on my iPhone. 

A15C8D9F-48BF-499D-B020-ADFD0D85A65A.jpeg

Edited by Ockingshay
14 hours ago, jpowell8672 said:

Then I thought I would give LimeTechs Unraid creator tool a shot just to test it out and that had error could not connect to s3amazon server .json error so that didn't work.

Hmm, that's a bug, fixed now, which has been there a while, sorry about that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ockingshay said:

It would be really great to get scrolling in pop-up windows, so that on tablets I know when the process completes. I only ever see the first few lines and if I scroll, it scrolls the page behind the pop-up. ?

At at the moment I just wait 5 mins and click the Red Cross, hoping it’s finished in time. this is is on an iPad Pro 12.9, but I’m sure it happens on other tablets. It also happens on my iPhone. 

+1 for that, not sure if we should put that in the feature request section?

Other than that, no issues with the update so far! :)

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The message appears as soon as one moves to another page in the GUI.

Hmmm, I didn't get it either during this upgrade  (6.5.2 -> 6.5.3) for some reason. I moved around the interface and refreshed pages, but it never showed up for me.

Edited by NNate