unRAID OS version 6.5.3 available

On 7/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, Squid said:

And what happens?  Does the unRaid boot menu appear on the local screen? 

No local screen.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, jpowell8672 said:

Trurl: "Make a copy of the config folder from flash. Prepare flash as for a new install. Copy config folder back." 

Did this, fixed it.

Attempted to upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.5.3 again today. 

You can see my initial attempt here: 

I manually downgraded it back to 6.4.1, run all updates for plugins and dockers, ran common mistakes plugin, cleaned up the small things it found, then ran the upgrade check tool. All came back clean.

I then initiated the update from the GUI and rebooted.

Same result. Boot halts right around the Starting Samba part, sometimes before. 

Specs: Gigabyte ga7pesh1

2 Intel Xeon 2660

96Gb ram

Etc.

Have ran unraid on this build for years and would love to get this upgrade working.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

If I want to update from an older version than those I see most people have... Can I do it through the check for updates button or do I need something intermediate?  I'm currently on 6.1.6

Read the first post in this same thread and be sure to take care of everything in the Update Notes linked there.

56 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

Thanks, I had already read it but since it doesn't state how far back you can go, wasn't sure how old is too old.

What you didn't tell us is what you are using your server for.  If it is a basic server, you probably won't have any problems. The more Plugins, Dockers and VM's you have, the more likely you are to encounter a problem.  I would suggest that you stop everything you can before doing an upgrade.  Then make a backup of the flash drive before you do the upgrade.  On the first boot, you might want to select the 'Safe Mode' (It is a boot option).  This will allow you to see if the basic server functions are working normally.  Check to make sure that all of the drives are assigned correctly (This should really not be a problem).  Now try the normal boot.   Hopefully, everything will be working normally.  Check for updates for plugins and Dockers.   Start up things one at a time to see that each one works before going on to the next

46 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What you didn't tell us is what you are using your server for.  If it is a basic server, you probably won't have any problems. The more Plugins, Dockers and VM's you have, the more likely you are to encounter a problem.  I would suggest that you stop everything you can before doing an upgrade.  Then make a backup of the flash drive before you do the upgrade.  On the first boot, you might want to select the 'Safe Mode' (It is a boot option).  This will allow you to see if the basic server functions are working normally.  Check to make sure that all of the drives are assigned correctly (This should really not be a problem).  Now try the normal boot.   Hopefully, everything will be working normally.  Check for updates for plugins and Dockers.   Start up things one at a time to see that each one works before going on to the next

Thanks, that's true/

I any case. up to now it was just a "basic" server hosting files.

I did just stop the array and do the update and all went well :)

Looking into adding dockers now, to see if I can get plex or something to stream to a 4k tv... ?

On 7/25/2018 at 11:14 AM, impmonkey said:

Attempted to upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.5.3 again today. 

You can see my initial attempt here: 

I manually downgraded it back to 6.4.1, run all updates for plugins and dockers, ran common mistakes plugin, cleaned up the small things it found, then ran the upgrade check tool. All came back clean.

I then initiated the update from the GUI and rebooted.

Same result. Boot halts right around the Starting Samba part, sometimes before. 

Specs: Gigabyte ga7pesh1

2 Intel Xeon 2660

96Gb ram

Etc.

Have ran unraid on this build for years and would love to get this upgrade working.

Thanks

I don't have any directly helpful advice, although I can confirm your problem, AND I can tell you that it has nothing to do with plugins/add-ons.  I had the same issue when attempting to go from 6.3.5 to 6.5.3, and I was using a freshly formatted (licensed) flash drive.  Mine consistently stopped at the point shown below.  So don't rip your system/configuration apart in the mistaken belief it's your specific combination of plugins/dockers/add-ons.  It happens even with an empty flash drive.

I had a brief exchange with Eric at L/T and there was another user who had the same issue.  This user later reported he'd corrected his problem by relocating a Seagate Constellation drive to his motherboard SATA instead of his server's controller cards.  Eric was also concerned it might be my IPMI card.  Ultimately I abandoned the attempt to go further with my server hardware.  I don't have any Seagate Constellation drives, and my server is headless, so axing my IPMI is not an option.  At this point, I'm just hoping the problem will be fixed (intentionally or accidentally) in a future revision....otherwise I'm stalling at 6.3.5 for the time being.

UnraidSTOPPED.jpg

Edited by johnny121b
  • 2 weeks later...
  • limetech unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

I've just updated my OS from 6.3.2 to 6.5.3 and tried to follow the instructions above including those from ljm42. I was unable to find \\tower\flash\config\plugins\dynamix.plg to delete it but it looks like I have the proper ui based on the image below. The only issue I'm having so far is that I  can't remember how to get rid of the blue tip boxes (tool tips), I can close them but they reopen every time I refresh the page or switch tabs.

ui version.PNG

Damn! I can't believe that I couldn't figure that out. To top it off I distinctly remember thinking (prior to worrying about turning that feature off) "I wonder why the help button seems to be more highlighted than the rest of the menu" and then I wrongly assumed that it was to make sure it was easily visible....doh! Thanks man...

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Where did you even get a 6.5.3 to update to? That version is nearly a year and a half old. Please consider updating to a more recent version. It is more difficult for us to support these old versions.

The link was within the unraid plugins tab. While following the update instructions for the latest version. It said to update plugins as one of the steps, after doing so there was a link at the bottom that said v6.5.3 was available so I continued with the instructions for v6.7 but intentionally diverted at the point of actual OS update and used v6.5.3. It seems to me that incrementally updating is probably better than jumping from 6.2.3 to 6.7, but maybe that's just because I don't know any better! Everything seems fine running 6.5.3 so far, so after a few more days I will continue to update from there. As a possible suggestion I can't help but wonder if there should be an archive like file-hippo for older versions of the OS as well as any critical plugins like CA? I'm strictly speaking as a layman so if I'm wrong so be it, but as an example the instruction process linked to above specifically said to use the Fix Common Problems plugin yet I was not able to install it without first having OS 6.7 running, a bit of a catch 22. Also I'd think it would be great to be able to rollback if a new version doesn't work with my hardward for example. Anyway I'm getting up to date slowly and I'll be looking at my settings to see why it didn't update automatically or at least offer a message, I'm assuming there is a tick-box or something that was in the wrong state.

1 hour ago, Dissones4U said:

older versions of the OS as well as any critical plugins like CA?

That is strictly up to the developer, whether that is Limetech or the plugin guy in question.  Some plugins (notably dynamix) do not have any provisions to even manually install (easily at least) a previous version.

All of mine do have the provision for a previous version install (if you contact me), but the archive does get cleaned up on occasion, and I usually don't keep more than a few months of prior releases.

11 hours ago, trurl said:

It is more difficult for us to support these old versions.

Please consider that all free support comes from your fellow users, for free. We are all just enthusiastic volunteers here. These old version are  more trouble for us since we aren't running them, and they often don't provide us with as much diagnostic information to work with. It really is more trouble for people who are really just giving their time and knowledge to you for free.

So is there any merit to upgrading incrementally vs jumping from 6.2.3 to 6.8.x (is it possible that the jump is incompatible with my hardware and bricks my machine for example)? If it would be useful I'd be happy to maintain an archive of older OS or plugins, maybe 18 months back on S3? Unfortunately I have no technical skills in regard to linux, programming, dockers etc so that's about as helpful as I can get, but again I'd be happy to do it...

4 minutes ago, Dissones4U said:

(is it possible that the jump is incompatible with my hardware and bricks my machine for example

Unlikely

5 minutes ago, Dissones4U said:

is there any merit to upgrading incrementally vs jumping from 6.2.3 to 6.8.x

Not particularly.  If you have VM's, then *maybe* (doubt it), but otherwise, no.

Just copy the contents of the flash drive somewhere safe before you do the upgrade