limetech

unRAID OS version 6.5.3 available

110 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 7/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, Squid said:

And what happens?  Does the unRaid boot menu appear on the local screen? 

No local screen.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, jpowell8672 said:

Trurl: "Make a copy of the config folder from flash. Prepare flash as for a new install. Copy config folder back." 

Did this, fixed it.

Attempted to upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.5.3 again today. 

You can see my initial attempt here: 

I manually downgraded it back to 6.4.1, run all updates for plugins and dockers, ran common mistakes plugin, cleaned up the small things it found, then ran the upgrade check tool. All came back clean.

I then initiated the update from the GUI and rebooted.

Same result. Boot halts right around the Starting Samba part, sometimes before. 

Specs: Gigabyte ga7pesh1

2 Intel Xeon 2660

96Gb ram

Etc.

Have ran unraid on this build for years and would love to get this upgrade working.

Thanks

If I want to update from an older version than those I see most people have... Can I do it through the check for updates button or do I need something intermediate?  I'm currently on 6.1.6

35 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

If I want to update from an older version than those I see most people have... Can I do it through the check for updates button or do I need something intermediate?  I'm currently on 6.1.6

Read the first post in this same thread and be sure to take care of everything in the Update Notes linked there.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Read the first post in this same thread and be sure to take care of everything in the Update Notes linked there.

Thanks, I had already read it but since it doesn't state how far back you can go, wasn't sure how old is too old.

56 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

Thanks, I had already read it but since it doesn't state how far back you can go, wasn't sure how old is too old.

What you didn't tell us is what you are using your server for.  If it is a basic server, you probably won't have any problems. The more Plugins, Dockers and VM's you have, the more likely you are to encounter a problem.  I would suggest that you stop everything you can before doing an upgrade.  Then make a backup of the flash drive before you do the upgrade.  On the first boot, you might want to select the 'Safe Mode' (It is a boot option).  This will allow you to see if the basic server functions are working normally.  Check to make sure that all of the drives are assigned correctly (This should really not be a problem).  Now try the normal boot.   Hopefully, everything will be working normally.  Check for updates for plugins and Dockers.   Start up things one at a time to see that each one works before going on to the next

46 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What you didn't tell us is what you are using your server for.  If it is a basic server, you probably won't have any problems. The more Plugins, Dockers and VM's you have, the more likely you are to encounter a problem.  I would suggest that you stop everything you can before doing an upgrade.  Then make a backup of the flash drive before you do the upgrade.  On the first boot, you might want to select the 'Safe Mode' (It is a boot option).  This will allow you to see if the basic server functions are working normally.  Check to make sure that all of the drives are assigned correctly (This should really not be a problem).  Now try the normal boot.   Hopefully, everything will be working normally.  Check for updates for plugins and Dockers.   Start up things one at a time to see that each one works before going on to the next

Thanks, that's true/

I any case. up to now it was just a "basic" server hosting files.

I did just stop the array and do the update and all went well :)

Looking into adding dockers now, to see if I can get plex or something to stream to a 4k tv... ?

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 11:14 AM, impmonkey said:

Attempted to upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.5.3 again today. 

You can see my initial attempt here: 

I manually downgraded it back to 6.4.1, run all updates for plugins and dockers, ran common mistakes plugin, cleaned up the small things it found, then ran the upgrade check tool. All came back clean.

I then initiated the update from the GUI and rebooted.

Same result. Boot halts right around the Starting Samba part, sometimes before. 

Specs: Gigabyte ga7pesh1

2 Intel Xeon 2660

96Gb ram

Etc.

Have ran unraid on this build for years and would love to get this upgrade working.

Thanks

I don't have any directly helpful advice, although I can confirm your problem, AND I can tell you that it has nothing to do with plugins/add-ons.  I had the same issue when attempting to go from 6.3.5 to 6.5.3, and I was using a freshly formatted (licensed) flash drive.  Mine consistently stopped at the point shown below.  So don't rip your system/configuration apart in the mistaken belief it's your specific combination of plugins/dockers/add-ons.  It happens even with an empty flash drive.

I had a brief exchange with Eric at L/T and there was another user who had the same issue.  This user later reported he'd corrected his problem by relocating a Seagate Constellation drive to his motherboard SATA instead of his server's controller cards.  Eric was also concerned it might be my IPMI card.  Ultimately I abandoned the attempt to go further with my server hardware.  I don't have any Seagate Constellation drives, and my server is headless, so axing my IPMI is not an option.  At this point, I'm just hoping the problem will be fixed (intentionally or accidentally) in a future revision....otherwise I'm stalling at 6.3.5 for the time being.

UnraidSTOPPED.jpg

Edited by johnny121b

@johnny121b

I can try to kill impi but I am also headless. I did disconnect all HDs with the same results.

I have been in touch with LT also without any luck figuring it out. 

Thanks for letting me know i am not alone :)

Just did a fresh install of 6.5.3 on a Supermicro MB with dual Xeons and everything is running smoothly.