Dual Boot Drives

Hi. I recently heard about this product whilst looking at the best way to essentially get a NAS inbuilt into my tower pc. 

From what I have read on here, I can see that this will work brilliantly if I wanted my windows pc to be a virtual machine. 

However I was thinking of having my windows pc on one SSD with this technology allocated to another SSD (cache) and a few (atleast 3) HDDs to product the inbuilt ‘NAS’. This will then be split into 2 alternatively sized disk drives (one for back up). Will these 2 disk drives show up when I boot my windows drive direct?

Are you talking about dual-booting, booting Windows sometimes and booting unRAID other times? Or did you have some idea about running both Windows and unRAID at the same time. I've never heard of anyone running unRAID as a VM under Windows, but many people run Windows as a VM under unRAID.

You must not allow any other OS to directly access unRAID disks or you will invalidate parity. Also, unRAID uses filesystems that are unsupported by Windows.

Apologies for any lack of clarity. 

I wish to avoid using windows in a virtual machine. 

I was thinking of running unraid in order to set it up and then running windows going forwards with access to the unraid drives. 

The windows boot would have its own separate SSD. I would just like to be able to access the unraid drives like you do a NAS

By doing that, then you would lose all advantages of unRaid, and the net result would be the same as if windows had control of the drives in the first place.

- Shares would not be unified

- All redundancy protection from the parity drive(s) is lost

- etc etc etc.

IE: You can't run the unRaid software without actually running it.

Edited by Squid