Jump to content
Warrentheo

6.6 will include QEMU 2.12?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

QEMU 2.12 seems fairly interesting, seems to change quite a few things in its change log, but https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.12#VFIO seems to change the way nVidia passthrough will work, as well as add support for virtual GPU's...  Can it be included in 6.6 rc?

 

Enjoying 6.5.3 ?

Edited by Warrentheo
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds interesting. Would also love to hear whether any of this is in the making? Would it be possible to upgrade an existing VM from QEMU 2.11 to 2.12?

Share this post


Link to post

Yet here we are still using a 2.1x release...

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone on beta release whether that’s already implemented?

Any improvements from 3.0?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Xaero said:

Yet here we are still using a 2.1x release...

QEMU 2.11.1 was part of the unRAID 6.5.0 release.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, Dazog said:

Qemu 3.0 is now released :)

LT is onto it :)

 

On 8/17/2018 at 12:31 AM, cybrnook said:

Is 6.6 anywhere close to going to the RC phase?

 

4 hours ago, eschultz said:

Probably in a week.  QEMU 3.0 was just released so we'll get that in to the public unRAID 6.6-rc release too.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

 LT is onto it :)

 

 

 

 

Indeed, just saw that. Wonder if SPICE might make the cut this time. VNC is a bit quirky still.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

3.0 doesn't seem to add much that I would find useful, the part that seems to affect the most users is the Block Devices section...

https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/3.0#Block_devices_and_tools

I don't know enough about this stuff to have an informed opinion, but 3.0 looks to me to change quite a bit of the background workings, without a whole lot of actual changes to how it works...

 

There does appear to be some minor changes for the QEMU drivers for Windows machines... But the currently installed 0.1.141-1 is the currently listed stable channel...  Mostly 0.1.160-1 appears to change the way the drivers get built, and some reporting changes for Windows...

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/CHANGELOG

Edited by Warrentheo

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Warrentheo said:

3.0 doesn't seem to add much that I would find useful, the part that seems to affect the most users is the Block Devices section...

https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/3.0#Block_devices_and_tools

I don't know enough about this stuff to have an informed opinion, but 3.0 looks to me to change quite a bit of the background workings, without a whole lot of actual changes to how it works...

 

There does appear to be some minor changes for the QEMU drivers for Windows machines... But the currently installed 0.1.141-1 is the currently listed stable channel...  Mostly 0.1.160-1 appears to change the way the drivers get built, and some reporting changes for Windows...

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/CHANGELOG

 

 

QEMU 3.0 include Spectre V4 mitigation for x86 Intel/AMD

Biggest reason for upgrade.

Edited by Dazog

Share this post


Link to post

Can confirm QEMU 3.0.0 in 6.6.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yup, just edit your VM and select the new machine type option for 3.0.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I upgraded to 6.6rc1 and qemu3.0. Upon restart the GUI disappeared, which could be solved after manually deleting dynamix.plg. Not sure whether this did any harm for any plugin?

 

I'll explore some of the benefits. I tried whether it indeed allows changing the VM settings and hitting update without losing manual XML settings. Unfortunately, this seems not (yet?) to be working. Understand this was supposed to a new feature of 6.6rc1.

 

Also I tried whether QEMU3.0 solves my long lasting issue not being able to pass-through my on-board audio card (

). Unfortunately, still not working.

 

The"white on black" new forum design is very difficult to read. Is there a setting to change this?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/2/2018 at 6:04 AM, steve1977 said:

The"white on black" new forum design is very difficult to read. Is there a setting to change this?

image.png.1d3426136963598fe3b1b515b1177101.png

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Xaero said:

image.png.1d3426136963598fe3b1b515b1177101.png

If you do not like the dark theme why not use the light one instead?

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/19/2018 at 1:10 PM, itimpi said:

If you do not like the dark theme why not use the light one instead?

That was the point of my post:
To show the quoted user where the setting is on the interface. It's easier to show with a screengrab than it is to say "yeah at the bottom of the page on the left side of the footer look for the theme dropdown and click it, you can pick a light theme there."

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now