Hardware swap

So my server is no longer keeping up with what I want it to do and I happened to get a fantastic deal on a xeon based server.  Is it possible to take the USB drive AND the hard drives from my old server and put them in the new server and have everything still work?  

Maybe. Probably. But impossible to tell  with any degree of accuracy without a diagnostics zip from the old machine and one from the new machine. Post current diagnostics, and then boot the new machine (without transferring any data drives) from your same unraid USB stick and post diagnostics from there.

That will allow a comparison of your drive controllers and possibly spot any gotchas.

8 minutes ago, johnomaz said:

So my server is no longer keeping up with what I want it to do and I happened to get a fantastic deal on a xeon based server.  Is it possible to take the USB drive AND the hard drives from my old server and put them in the new server and have everything still work?  

In principle the answer is yes as far as the basic NAS functionality is concerned.

the only time you might encounter problems at the NAS Level with the new system is if the disk controller identifies the disks in a different way (so that unRAID does not recognize their serial number).   Just in case I would make sure you have a screen shot available of the drive assignments before the move.

if you use VMs with hardware pass-through then they will probably need some work to get working again.

Ok, so I put the flash drive in my new server and booted.  It won't take an IP address.  I think that may be related to the fact that my old server has 4 1gb nics but the new one is only a single 1gb nic.  Unraid was set up as a bonded connection.  I went back in the old server and turned off the bonded connection and set it to eth0.  However at the bottom in the routing table, I have this:  

IPv4    192.168.1.0/24                br0                                            217

IPv4    default                               192.168.1.1 via br0               217

I tried to remove the entries and i immediately lost connection.  Reboot and I tried to add a new entry under eth0 except it only gives me br0 eth1 eth2 eth3.  I am unable to add eth0 if I type it in manually.

HANG TIGHT,

I'm a numbskull sometimes.  Lemme check something......

Sorry, its really the little things that frustrate you the most.  I forgot that when I initially set up the server I changed the GUI port to something other than 80 since I have a web server running.  I forgot to type the port.  Ok, it has an IP now and its only complaint are the missing drives which I will be adding in soon.  Thanks for your replies guys and if I do run into any issue that I can't troubleshoot myself I'll post the diagnostic files.  Again, many thanks!

Edited by johnomaz