What happens when Lime Tech are no longer trading?

I've noticed that unRAID checks LimeTech servers each time the array is started.

If Lime Tech, for whatever reason, go out of business, and their server is shut down, is it possible to retrieve the information that is stored on the hard drives?

The array will not be able to be started as the server will no longer exist; if the array is encrypted, can the data be recovered?

This may be unlikely scenario, but its the last thing I need to consider before trusting unRAID with my data.

(I use a 3-2-1 backup strategy for 'important' data (photos, etc.), but not for media as it's too costly to store).

The evaluation version checks with LimeTech on every start. This makes sure you can't play with time to get your evaluation license to run forever.

The commercial licenses do not connect to LimeTech because they aren't time-limited.

Your data is stored in standard file systems, so you can connect any data disk from an unRAID system to another Linux machine and retrieve the files.

If you encrypt the disks, it is always your responsibility to make sure you have a backup of the passphrase or key file needed to unlock the encrypted volumes. If you have, then any normal Linux installation will be able to unlock the drives and access the data.

LimeTech have indicated that if they closes shop, they will arrange - or possibly already have arrangements - for an alternative way to get keys for the USB sticks.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Stan464 said:

Unless they go out of Business then your USB Key Dies.

Totally buggered?

Already answered, and limetech stated the following:

On 6/15/2018 at 10:32 AM, pwm said:

if they closes shop, they will arrange - or possibly already have arrangements - for an alternative way to get keys for the USB sticks.

Fundamentally, the question is no different than what happens if Microsoft goes out of business.  How am I supposed to reactivate Windows if my hard drive dies and I have to reinstall.  Worst case scenario here is that you switch to a different OS.  Your data is all still safe.

2 hours ago, jj_uk said:

The worst that can happen is you'll no longer be able to use unRAID, if I've read this correct.
The data (encrypted or not) can still be read by another Linux distro (with the encryption key if req'd).

You first need to break the USB drive to get in a situation where unRAID can't be run.

But it's correct that all the data can be accessed even without an unRAID license. And since unRAID uses normal file systems, the data doesn't even need to be moved to other drives - it's enough to boot any Linux and then mount all the disks. The main loss is that there will be no user shares that merges file contents from the original array data disks. But there are other union-fs solutions available as a replacement.

So the danger is exceptionally low.

i find this post funny, i've had unraid since version 5 and other have had it even longer. I think some people think because they are not MS, redhat, or some other common name they are fly by company ready to steal your money or something.

I'm sure they make plenty of money to stay in business.

3 hours ago, ijuarez said:

i find this post funny, i've had unraid since version 5 and other have had it even longer. I think some people think because they are not MS, redhat, or some other common name they are fly by company ready to steal your money or something.

I'm sure they make plenty of money to stay in business.

No not really. I just wanted to know what would happen in that event. I store my data in 3 different locations, why? Because there is risk with each one. Going out of business could have been a real pita if the drives become locked down. However as this is not the case due to standard file systems used it's one less thing to worry about.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Squid said:

Already answered, and limetech stated the following:

Fundamentally, the question is no different than what happens if Microsoft goes out of business.  How am I supposed to reactivate Windows if my hard drive dies and I have to reinstall.  Worst case scenario here is that you switch to a different OS.  Your data is all still safe.

No Confirmations, just assumptions that there will be "Things put in place". And the Windows Example being valid, has perfectly good work around's, Such as "KMS" and "HWID" Activation.

Question i have is, if a Key is already activated. Does it Verify this on every Array Start up or only for the First time Registering & Activating? 

17 minutes ago, Stan464 said:

No Confirmations, just assumptions that there will be "Things put in place". And the Windows Example being valid, has perfectly good work around's, Such as "KMS" and "HWID" Activation.

Question i have is, if a Key is already activated. Does it Verify this on every Array Start up or only for the First time Registering & Activating? 

It's only the trial license that verifies the validity of the key over Internet when you start.

For a commercial license, the system verifies the validity by locally checking the serial number of the USB thumb drive.

4 minutes ago, Stan464 said:

It's not the same type of mechanism as windows. The key file is paired with the GUID of the USB stick, so as long as the USB is working properly, there is no external communication needed to verify the key, ever.  If you replace the USB stick and move the existing key file to the new stick, then the array will not start until a new key file to match the new stick is obtained from limetech. This can be done automatically using the GUI once per year, if you need a key file replacement before the year is up you will need to contact limetech and explain the situation.

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

Unlike windows, you can run an unraid server with no internet at all. The only communication with limetech would be telling them the GUID of the USB stick, and them sending you a key file to match. That communication can be done on a machine NOT running unraid if you so desired. You would install unraid on the USB, boot the OS, copy down the GUID, then email those numbers. They send you back the keyfile, you copy it to the USB, and unraid will be fully active with no internet.

Yes, im aware that the Tech of Verifica is Different, But thats all i need to know. Long as my USB doesn't die i could in theory keep a Machine in DR and keep it off the Internet. Least i know now.

May i ask how this Blacklisting Function works if a key has been Blacklisted. and you had kept it in an old machine, Would that still work? as it doesnt actually Check the License against Server?

Cheers.

Edited by Stan464
3 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

When a GUID is blacklisted, it is added to the blacklist built into every subsequent releases of unRaid and so will no longer work on any future release of unRaid.

So yes it would still work in an old machine (until you find you need to upgrade to a newer version of unRaid for some reason).

Ohh thats fancy stuff! and fair enough, was curious as ive not needed to Replace a USB Key yet, and was curious to know what would happen to my DR System.

of course, i have since purchased a Pro key for 12 Devices on that machine.

Thanks kindly for the Info! :)