Reallocated sector count increasing

I have a 26 day old drive that has increased from 16 Reallocated sector count to 80. 

This is the same drive that came up with a Reported uncorrect during clearing. 

I have read that reallocated sector count is not something to worry about but as it has increased after performing a parity check as i am about to add two new drives to the array.

53 minutes ago, Squid said:

I'd personally RMA it

Just to clarify, with less than a month on the clock, I'd be looking for a refund and then purchase new drive. If you RMA with the manufacturer, you will get a refurb drive, which could be fine, but could also just be somebody else's problem drive that didn't show clear symptoms when it was returned.

I have just spoken to Seagate directly and Scan.co.uk and Scan asked for an email from seagate to confirm that it should be replaced. Seagate agreed it should be replaced, Scan has agreed to send me a new drive after receiving the confirmation from seagate. Which is good news. 

Is it worth me copying everything off it instead of relying on parity to rebuild it? Ill probably sleep easier that way anyway, as it might be a few days before I receive the replacement. 

What would you do? the drive has about 3tb on 6tb drive used.

55 minutes ago, Simontv said:

Is it worth me copying everything off it instead of relying on parity to rebuild it? Ill probably sleep easier that way anyway, as it might be a few days before I receive the replacement. 

Yes, backups are ALWAYS a good idea, EVEN WHEN THE ARRAY IS WORKING PERFECTLY.

Sorry to shout, but people always seem to think that a parity protected array will keep their files from harm. IT WON'T. It only protects from one thing, single (or dual) drive failure, depending on if you have single or double parity. Drive failure is pretty far down on the list of things that happen to files, present case notwithstanding.

What is the easiest way to move all the data off that drive? Some of the folders contain data that is from shares that are spread across multiple drives, so it could be time consuming to copy at the share level. 

Can I create a share at the disk level? Or maybe there is a quick way to move all the data to other drives in the array? I would rather format the drive before sending it off. 

11 minutes ago, Simontv said:

Can I create a share at the disk level? Or maybe there is a quick way to move all the data to other drives in the array? I would rather format the drive before sending it off. 

Maybe the unBALANCE plug-in might be a useful tool here?

Thanks! the unbalance plugin solves the copying files issue nicely. 

I read the wiki on removing drives..

To replace a failed disk or disks:

1. Stop the array.
  2. Power down the unit.
  3. Replace the failed disk(s) with a new one(s).
  4. Power up the unit.
  5. Assign the replacement disk(s) using the unRAID webGui.
  6. Click the checkbox that says Yes I want to do this and then click Start.

I have to post the faulty drive off and then they will confirm the issue and then they will send a new drive. That could take a week. 

Should i shut it down and remove the disk and wait until the new disk arrives before starting it up again? Should I remove the disk from the array completely. Considering it had no data on any longer, what is best option for this scenario?

Edited by Simontv

While copying data off it has increased to 128, so glad I am RMA the drive now. 

I ended up using screen and MC to do the copy as unbalance did not have the correct permissions and wouldn't accept a different account. 

Any ideas on best method for removing the disk? Considering the replacement is not going to be available for a week?

I have one parity drive.

I have been reading the wiki more and it seems I have two options. 

One I can remove the disk from the array and rebuild parity, at a risk, if a second disk fails during parity rebuild i could lose data. 

Second option is the shut down the array and remove the faulty disk and only turn it back on once i receive the new disk back from RMA. Downside I will have no access to my data until the new drive is installed. 

I am thinking option two might be the best option because I can survive without the data for a week. 

Edited by Simontv

You are at pretty much the same risk either way, only difference is whether or not you wait and the new drive gets rebuilt from parity, or cleared and added later.

Since you have a verified copy of everything on the failed drive (right?) you would be protected sooner if you go ahead and rebuild parity with the remaining drives. If you were in limbo with the failed drive and emulated data, then all signs point to wait and rebuild. Since you don't need the data, it's better to rebuild parity now, that way when the new drive arrives you can test it properly before putting it in the array and trusting it.