Server key transfer

So I am currently planning to upgrade my server from its current i3 8 hot swap bay to a 24 hot swap bay possibly with a ryzen 1800x. Not for a few months though. 

I want to do a complete clean install, setup and transfer data. Then add the current drives in the new box. 

Am I able to do the install on a trial key then transfer my pro key over to the new system. 

Thanks. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Looking to configure the new system with new drives and set everything up exactly how I want it. 

Transfer all current data on to the new system then add the old drives to the new array. 

Once old system has had drives removed will no longer be used for unraid so only need one license. 

Just looking to find out if I can transfer the key to the new usb drive once migration is complete. 

The key is linked to the flash drive so not strictly transferable. There is a procedure for replacing it if the flash fails, but I don’t think the method you outlined is going to work for you. The biggest hurdle will probably be that the trial license only allows three connected drives. Not sure how much data you’re transferring? Maybe it’ll fit on two drives and one parity.

I would suggest getting the new server running on a trial license with a new parity and two data drives (just for testing). After you have tested to be sure everything is working just shut it down, move your old drives to the new server along with the old flash containing your key. When you boot it up all your data will already be there and no need to replace keys. If you want to replace the old drives after the move you can just add new drives to the array and shuffle data from the old ones. This will probably be much faster than transferring data over SMB.

13 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

The key is linked to the flash drive so not strictly transferable. There is a procedure for replacing it if the flash fails, but I don’t think the method you outlined is going to work for you. The biggest hurdle will probably be that the trial license only allows three connected drives. Not sure how much data you’re transferring? Maybe it’ll fit on two drives and one parity.

This is not the case.  It used to be the case that trial installations were only allowed three devices, but trial installs have not had this restriction for quite some time.  So it should be possible to build the second server and then transfer the key, using the original USB device with the new server.  It is true that the .key file is tied to the USB drive, and that it what forces you to take this step.  You would need to take advice on the steps to use the old USB drive and key with the new disk configuration, but I believe that is perfectly doable.  As @Squid mentions, trial installs have a time limit, although you are able to apply for an extension.

https://lime-technology.com/pricing/

Edited by S80_UK

Thanks for the replys. 

Ok. The main reasons for wanting to start from are

1 use a different usb as the one in use is getting on now and it's 32gb. Unraid doesn't need that amount. 

2 when I first started playing around with unraid I had no cache drive so some files I have never been able to move to that drive as they are active as soon as the array starts. 

3 have fresh config files as I have modified, changed them reverted them back and so on. 

2 and 3 are issues caused by my limited understanding. 

Sounds like the replacement key option on the pricing page are what I need. Thanks for the link. 

Seems like you could get the configuration all set up on your second USB stick with a trial key. Then when all done, save the key file from your first (paid) USB stick, wipe it, and transfer your files from the new USB stick to your first stick. Then copy the license to it. Seems like this should work. Perhaps Squid or another more experienced unRAIDer can verify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk