[SOLVED] New Config --> Unraid wants new passphrase

Edit: Got it sorted!

Hi,

Not sure what happened here..

I had emptied one array drive and removed it from the computer. I made a New Config and re-added the only array drive I had left, plus cache.

But now I can't enter my passphrase for xfs-encryption, Unraid instead wants me to make a new passphrase.

Any idea what to do now?

Removed another two drive a few days ago and had no problems.  

Array is xfs-encrypted, cache is btrfs.

Edited by _jonte
  • 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, scrathe said:

I'm having the same issue as you. New Config, prompting for new passphrase. What did you do to solve? 

v6.5.3

After starting the array for the first time after a new config you will be prompted to type the missing key.

If you manually changed the disk type to encrypted after the new config just type the existing key.

Hi three eighty-eight,

Some backstory how I got here...

1. Existing encrypted array reported a failed drive.
  2. Shutdown
  3. Physically removed the failed drive. AND I removed a some unassigned devices that I no longer needed.
  4. Powered up
  5. Performed new-config, selected keep-existing-all (minus the missing bad drive)
  6. unRAID prompting for "enter new key" but I'm terrified that if I do, it'll reformat.
  7. Grabbed a copy of my /flash/config folder. Probably too late to help.

Did some research, I seem to think since there were drives removed, the device-ids are now different?

1. Powered down. Put bad drive back in. Powered on.
  2. Re-assigned all the drives to their corresponding array disk numbers.
  3. But I'm still seeing this "enter new key".

At this point I feel pretty stupid making multiple changes during a failed drive maintenance. How screwed am I? Nothing has been formatted, or parity rebuilt. Just stuck with a stopped array and don't know how to get back w/o data loss.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

After starting the array for the first time after a new config you will be prompted to type the missing key.

If you manually changed the disk type to encrypted after the new config just type the existing key.

Found another thread suggesting if I enter the old passphrase, it should be ok? 

Apologies to everyone necro'ing a old solved post. Was thinking the OP could share what their experience was, but I think my scenario warranted a new thread.

• Performed new-config, selected keep-existing-all (minus the missing bad drive)
  • unRAID prompting for "enter new key" but I'm terrified that if I do, it'll reformat.
Something missing here, though first I hope you're aware that the missing drive data, if any, will be missing, some users have the idea the data is redistributed or something.

Now, after doing the new config, and if you left all disks fs to auto, Unraid would ask for the existing key at first array start.

If after the new config you changed the disk fs to encrypted, then Unraid will ask for the new key but you can enter the existing one.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

just type the existing key.

Thank you for your help three-eighty eight.

What I did.

1. All drives present (even failed drive).
  2. Assigned drives back to their original assignments.
  3. Selected "keep parity"
  4. Entered my original passphrase when asked for "enter new key".
  5. Array started. All data is intact.

Time to attempt moving the data off the failed/failing drive. It's showing green now.

Edited by scrathe