6.3.5 -> 6.5.3 (New USB) Can I upgrade and keep my config

I have a second, licensed USB drive, and I would like to

1. Shut down my running 6.3.5 server
  2. Copy my flash drive config to my second (freshly formatted 6.5.3) flash drive
  3. Swap the two flash drives
  4. Start up my (now) 6.5.3 server

IS it as-simple-as copying my config folder from my existing flash drive to my new flash drive and starting from it?

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, tr0lll said:

Hi is this a true and tested procedure?

The contents of the config folder is the only difference between different installs (unless you have intentionally created additional files of your own on flash, such as scripts). So yes it will work as described.

18 minutes ago, tr0lll said:

Hi is this a true and tested procedure?

Yes, if the configuration did not change, the only thing different on the new flash drive (other than the upgraded OS files) will be the license key since the unRAID license is tied to the flash drive GUID.

A more complicated upgrade is when hardware such as motherboard, CPU, video cards, etc is changed.  Even that is often just a matter of swapping out the hardware and rebooting. I have done this several times.   It is only "complicated" if there are VMs utilizing hardware passthrough and, now, some of that hardware has changed. Some tweaks will need to be made to the configuration in this case.