Question for a Parity-Check on a 10TB HDD

1 minute ago, Zonediver said:

Hi folks,

i want to ask, if someone can tell me, how long a Parity-Check with a 10TB HDD takes.

Thanks for your help

If you have a setup with a single parity and a somewhat decent cpu it is pretty much limited by the slowest drive in your array. I would estimate something between 12-20 hours.

5 minutes ago, Seige said:

If you have a setup with a single parity and a somewhat decent cpu it is pretty much limited by the slowest drive in your array. I would estimate something between 12-20 hours.

Hi Seige and thanks for your reply. I plan to remove all my 3TB-HDDs and use new 10TBs instead. My sys takes about 11h for a Parity-Check at the moment (3 and 4 TB WD-Reds).

I was estimating about 22h with the new 10TBs.

Edited by Zonediver

The 3/4 TB WD reds are rather slow in comparison. Their 10 TB model is a bit faster, and since the read/write speed is not linear it is hard to predict an exact value.

When going from a 4TB WD red parity to a 10 TB Ironwolf my parity check times went from 10 hrs to 19 with another 10tb data drive in the array. Once it is done with the 4 TB section involving the WD reds it picks up speed since the Seagates are notably faster. With only Ironwolfs or similar drives I guess it would be around 12 ish hours.

14 hours ago, Seige said:

The 3/4 TB WD reds are rather slow in comparison. Their 10 TB model is a bit faster, and since the read/write speed is not linear it is hard to predict an exact value.

When going from a 4TB WD red parity to a 10 TB Ironwolf my parity check times went from 10 hrs to 19 with another 10tb data drive in the array. Once it is done with the 4 TB section involving the WD reds it picks up speed since the Seagates are notably faster. With only Ironwolfs or similar drives I guess it would be around 12 ish hours.

I know this - the question is, how fast is the 10TB WD-Red at the inner zone - the 4TB REDs have 75MB/s - i guess that the 10TB should have around 100MB/s

Edited by Zonediver