unRAID 6.5.3 - UPS Settings Question (SOLVED)

I've read a number of posts in various threads in the forum that recommend setting unRAID to shutdown after a power disruption puts the server on battery power somewhere between 1-3 minutes, essentially insuring a shutdown within a 10 minute window.

I want to use only "Time on battery before shutdown" to get my server shutdown within a definite 10 minute window.  If I use the following values for UPS Settings, do the zeros shut off the functions "Battery level to initiate shutdown" and "Runtime left to initiate shutdown"?

UPS Settings.jpeg

Edited by _0m0t3ur
On 6/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, wgstarks said:

Should work, assuming your UPS will provide that much runtime. Will shutdown at the first trigger reached. A test might not be a bad idea though. Runtime can be very inaccurate depending on the condition of your batteries.

I'm confused.  The settings should allow the server to run on battery power for 3 minutes before shutting down.  I'm trying to set this to shut off very timely.  Am I missing something?

Edited by _0m0t3ur

Yes, 3 minutes. Runtime reported by the UPS is an estimate. Just because it says it will provide 3 minutes of runtime doesn’t mean that it will if your batteries aren’t in good condition. Since your other variables are set to zero you’ll get a hard shutdown if your batteries run down before the 3 minute runtime is reached. That’s why I suggested testing it, since I don’t know the power consumption of your server or the capacity of your UPS.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:10 PM, wgstarks said:

Yes, 3 minutes. Runtime reported by the UPS is an estimate. Just because it says it will provide 3 minutes of runtime doesn’t mean that it will if your batteries aren’t in good condition. Since your other variables are set to zero you’ll get a hard shutdown if your batteries run down before the 3 minute runtime is reached. That’s why I suggested testing it, since I don’t know the power consumption of your server or the capacity of your UPS.

Gottcha!  Yeah, I probably should have provided UPS info in the post.  My error.  Sorry.

So, I was reading your post and thinking that 3 minutes on battery is nothing.  Especially, seeing that my system shows 83 minutes runtime left at 100% battery charge, which you did not see.  I realize that the 83 minutes is probably inaccurate but since my target is shutdown in under 10 minutes, this should provide enough of a cushion.

Your comment ended up being very helpful.  Thanks.  As a result, I looked at the settings page again.  Apparently, the shutdown is invoked by the first trigger of the three.  So the 180 second trigger should be invoked first based on current battery health.  But I should probably have settings for the other two in a case where the battery health is lower than anticipated to prevent a hard shutdown, as you pointed out.

As a result, I've set the "Battery level to initiate shutdown" to 50%; the "Runtime left to initiate shutdown" is set at 10 minutes.  And my "Time on battery before shutdown" is set to 180 seconds.

This should get my system beginning a shutdown at 3 minutes on battery, unless my battery immediately reads some low health setting.  Then my system will hopefully be caught by the 50% rule and shutdown gracefully anyway.

Thanks again.

Edited by _0m0t3ur
  • 3 years later...
On 6/20/2018 at 3:24 PM, _0m0t3ur said:

As a result, I've set the "Battery level to initiate shutdown" to 50%; the "Runtime left to initiate shutdown" is set at 10 minutes.  And my "Time on battery before shutdown" is set to 180 seconds.

This should get my system beginning a shutdown at 3 minutes on battery, unless my battery immediately reads some low health setting.  Then my system will hopefully be caught by the 50% rule and shutdown gracefully anyway.

Thanks again.

I just want to say thanks for the information, I have copied your suggestions and added it to my own settings.  See below:

image.thumb.png.669b1b78aaebf276a4cce7db611b1285.png

• 2 months later...