2 HDDs unmountable

6 minutes ago, Ron said:

Parity is rebuilding the #6 HDD, so would that not mean that it was in the array, and will have any data from Unraid replaced? What I am wondering now is why #7 is not being rebuild, and still shows 60gb size after formatting. Sounds like something is still wrong with that hdd.

You might post a diagnostics file that includes the time you did whatever formatting / partitioning you tried.

Otherwise might need to zero the first few megs of the disk (this will remove existing partition information). And then try again. Hopefully zeroed in this way would cause unRAID to re-partition the disk when unRAID tries to format it.

I'm assuming you have given up trying to recover any data from the drives at this point.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, SSD said:

You might post a diagnostics file that includes the time you did whatever formatting / partitioning you tried.

Otherwise might need to zero the first few megs of the disk (this will remove existing partition information). And then try again. Hopefully zeroed in this way would cause unRAID to re-partition the disk when unRAID tries to format it.

I'm assuming you have given up trying to recover any data from the drives at this point.

Yes I have given up on recovering what ever might have been on the hdds since I believe nothing new was added. Johnny had posted that if there was nothing new added, it was ok to format, so I did. For the diagnostics file... I would run it again after the rebuilding of the 6t hdd, correct?

On 6/23/2018 at 2:54 AM, Ron said:

Yes, they were being used, and have a lot of my data on them. Should I format them, and hope the parity can rebuild them?

This was stated earlier. I assumed it was true.

Yes I have given up on recovering what ever might have been on the hdds since I believe nothing new was added. Johnny had posted that if there was nothing new added, it was ok to format, so I did. For the diagnostics file... I would run it again after the rebuilding of the 6t hdd, correct?

Johnnie is smart, and often we agree. But on this one we each had different theories - both plausible and well explained to you. Johnnie's statement was based on his theory being correct, which was never proven. And BTW, his theory assumed your statement above was false. I tended to believe you. Just blindly accepting Johnnie's conjecture was no risk to him - only to you. I have no idea whether you lost data or not - or if it was just some movies you could rerip or otherwise recover, or priceless family pictures/movies. I tend to assume that a person's data is valuable, and my suggestions are always aligned with saving it if it is remotely possible.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SSD said:

This was stated earlier. I assumed it was true.

I had thought that too, but then I remembered we had just rebuilt the entire NAS a couple of months ago, and I had never hooked up my burner to it, so nothing could have been written to it but small files. My main worry was losing TBs of music, and movies. I thank you very much for your assistance, and everyone else's too. This forum is great, and I love how everyone is so willing to help each other. I wish I had the knowledge to be able to help others in this forum like you and others do.

This is something strange that I just noticed after the hdd problem was fixed...

My first Parity hdd has a green light, but is listed under historical as a missing hdd...is this just informational, and should I delete it? I do not want to mess up my parity hdd.

Edited by Ron