How do I disable short-press power button turning off the server?

This option should be in /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh if I am not mistaken, but each time i edit this file, when the server is rebooted.. the file reverts to its original lines.

Commenting out the lines in this file does indeed turn off the ability to short press the power button, but I want to make it permanent.

(I have case with a pbutton on top, and I have cats)

Thanks all!

Edited by Dstubbs28

Might be an option in the bios also. If not, you need to store the edited file on your flash drive and the copy it to the correct place on every boot. You can do this by adding the command in the go file in the config folder of the flash. 

3 minutes ago, saarg said:

Might be an option in the bios also. If not, you need to store the edited file on your flash drive and the copy it to the correct place on every boot. You can do this by adding the command in the go file in the config folder of the flash. 

Sadly not a Bios option as thats a venue i already explored... I'll have to do the cp each boot then.

(I do wish it was an unraid option though...)

Thanks Saarg :)

Edited by Dstubbs28
1 minute ago, Dstubbs28 said:

Sadly not a Bios option as thats a venue i already explored... I'll have to do the cp each boot then.

(I do wish it was an unraid option though...)

Thanks Saarg :)

Make a feature request and it might get added ?

2 hours ago, Dstubbs28 said:

Not with this kitten... Unless I want to have an 'ugly' solution.

Then it would be best to implement this solution:

2 hours ago, saarg said:

...you need to store the edited file on your flash drive and the copy it to the correct place on every boot. You can do this by adding the command in the go file in the config folder of the flash. 

3 hours ago, Dstubbs28 said:

Not with this kitten... Unless I want to have an 'ugly' solution.

If the case has a reset switch you could disconnect the power button wires from the motherboard and use the reset switch as the power button.

I don't think the software mod is going to be enough, as sitting on the button will kill the server without a proper shutdown.

Just now, Squid said:

Only if the reset switch is recessed

Very true, but in many cases the power button is loud and proud, the reset is small and less accessible.

Worst case, upgrade motherboard to server model with IPMI and disconnect power switch from motherboard totally.9_9

Depending on how handy the OP is with tools, there are plenty of options to mount a momentary switch in a better location, like a pci slot cover.

17 hours ago, saarg said:

... If not, you need to store the edited file on your flash drive and the copy it to the correct place on every boot. You can do this by adding the command in the go file in the config folder of the flash. 

@Dstubbs28 -

This is excellent solution IMO.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I had a similar issue and what I ended up doing was setting the BIOS settings such that it would always power on after a power failure (or power loss). I disconnected the front panel power and reset switches. When I need to shutdown and power back on the system, I simply flip the power supply switch to the off position (or remove the cord if your supply doesn't have a switch), then reapply power and the system powers back on.

Fairly simple solution that may meet the OP's needs, though I am sure you worked something out by now. :)