AMD Processor Family 21: mcelog does not support processor

I've been getting machine check events and am looking to troubleshoot the issue.  I have mcelog installed through Nerd Tools, but when I run 'mcelog', I get the following error:

"mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 21: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
CPU is unsupported"

I've searched on how to install the edac_mce_amd module but haven't found any good instructions yet.  Anyone know how to install it so I can troubleshoot my server issues?

Many thanks

Anyone?  I keep getting this message and Google doesn't seem to be any help whatsoever.

Your server has detected hardware errors. You should install mcelog via the NerdPack plugin, post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums. The output of mcelog (if installed) has been logged
  • 1 year later...

getting same error msg, any progress since?

Fix Common Problems: Error: Machine Check Events detected on your server
Aug 7 22:08:16 unRAIDTower root: mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor. Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.

or where to get AMD module i dont find it in nerdpack

thanks

Edited by killeriq
  • 9 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, drsparks68 said:

It ended up being bad memory for me. Once I removed the bad stick the machine check events went away. 

Lucky you

I have the same error but swapping the memory didn't change anything.

So there is no edac_mce_amd?

• 1 month later...

Yeah I've just started getting this one too now. I ran memtest and got 2 full successful passes, not really sure what to do.image.thumb.png.ec59f5ca27e39562dd93a88f2fdad15a.png

:~# mcelog
mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
CPU is unsupported
Edited by andrew207
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 4:20 PM, andrew207 said:

Yeah I've just started getting this one too now. I ran memtest and got 2 full successful passes, not really sure what to do.image.thumb.png.ec59f5ca27e39562dd93a88f2fdad15a.png

:~# mcelog
mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.
CPU is unsupported

I too am experiencing this issue.

• 1 month later...

The message from mcelog isn't as bad as it seems.  The edac_mce_amd module has been included in Unraid for a while now.  Effectively what the message means is that mcelog is telling you that that Intel driver doesn't work with your processor.  The AMD driver is getting used instead.  (At least that's what my googling found a week or 2 ago)

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, Squid said:

The message from mcelog isn't as bad as it seems.  The edac_mce_amd module has been included in Unraid for a while now.  Effectively what the message means is that mcelog is telling you that that Intel driver doesn't work with your processor.  The AMD driver is getting used instead.  (At least that's what my googling found a week or 2 ago)

What are we supposed to do when we get this error message?

I see that the module is included

root@unraid:~# lsmod | grep mce
edac_mce_amd           32768  0

Does this mean we don't need to manually run anything and just provide our diag file?

• 2 weeks later...

Similar error for me, except for AMD Processor family 25 (5600x). Fix Common Problems alerts on it because of the message added to mcelog. Can we safely ignore this error as AMD users?

Full message: "mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 25: mcelog does not support this processor. Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead."

22 hours ago, Resviole said:

Fix Common Problems alerts on it because of the message added to mcelog

FCP won't alert on that message.  It will alert on an MCE being logged (which is the only time that message arrives).  If the mce happens during processor initialization, then it's nothing at all to worry about as that affects certain combinations of hardware from time to time.

• 1 year later...

@Squid I am AMD 5600U, and I got the same message:

Jun 22 11:44:34 server mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 25: mcelog does not support this processor. Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.

and I noticed that since I switched to AMD, my mac VM won't work anymore. I got this from my VM log:

2022-06-25T17:05:38.958203Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2022-06-25T17:05:38.958268Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.fma4 [bit 16]
2022-06-25T17:05:38.959351Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2022-06-25T17:05:38.959365Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.fma4 [bit 16]

are they related ? 

thanks

On 6/25/2022 at 6:24 PM, ruihere said:

my mac VM won't work anymore

MacOS expects very specific capabilities of the CPU and several of them have to be faked in the XML. In particular, it expects to see "GenuineIntel" as the vendor string and not "AuthenticAMD". You don't say how you first created your VM but I recommend you take a look at the MacInABox Docker container help pages for more information. SpaceInvaderOne, the author, has also created a video showing how to use it. The purpose of that container is to create a macOS VM - you run it once and then rarely need it again. Your best solution might be to create a new VM using that method, install a fresh copy of macOS, then import your data, either from your original virtual HD image or from a Time Machine backup. Alternatively, if you're comfortable editing your XML manually you could do that. The parts that describe the CPU are in the <qemu: commandline> block at the end of the file, after the <devices> section. Here are the last twelve lines of an XML file that works for me, created using the MacInABox container.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=REDACTED'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

• 1 year later...