CPU & Motherboard

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new cpu to upgrade my unraid box.

ark.intel.com/products/129937/Intel-Core-i5-8600-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

But I think my motherboard doesn't support it.

www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10

Anyone have any ideas? I think I need a 370 board?

If this is the case anyone have any recommendations for a board if I need to change the board out?

Thanks everyone....

1 hour ago, BillClinton said:

That cpu will only work on a 300 series chipset. (X370, B360 etc)
The board you have will work with 7th gen cpu max.

@lostincable

This is very typical these days. Companies like Intel designing a new CPU that is backward compatible with the prior generation is becoming rare. And even memory specs often change between upgrades. So we need to make sure we understand the impacts of these on the upgrade cost.

Another thing to consider is your NEXT update (after this one). Do not expect you will be able to update your CPU with a future offering. BUT, if a more powerful offering exists at the time of purchase, perhaps an expensive option, than years later, you might find the more powerful chip is available on eBay at a reasonable cost, and be able to do an inexpensive update w/o replacing MB or memory. This is why it might be advisable to select a CPU series that you are not looking at the top of the line. For example, I recently purchased an i9 7920x, which is a 12 core CPU (3x my current core count, and much faster per core) and absolutely all I need at the moment. But there are 14 and 18 core versions (7940x and 7980xe) available. Adding 2 more cores (15%) would likely not be enough of a bump to make upgrading worthwhile, but the 7980xe is 6 more cores (50%) and would be.  At purchase, the 7980xe was double the cost of the 7920x (and the 7920x was already well over my price target). But if 5-8 years from now it could be had at a deep discount (esp. considering selling my 7920x), an upgrade may very well make sense. The 12 core would keep me satisfied for a much longer time than a 6 or 8 core CPU (which is what I had been looking at / for). This was part of my reasoning for buying an x299 CPU - longer life and next upgrade would be cheap. I figured if I was looking at this and the next upgrade costs together, that buying a 6 core CPU with no upgrade potential today, and then buying an ~18 core CPU 3-4 years down the road (with new MB and memory), that the cost of the two upgrades, taken together, was roughly equivalent. So spending the extra to buy the 7920x today at 2x+ the cost was still the smart decision. (Amazing what the human mind can do to justify expensive IT purchases!)

I would also mention that higher core counts seem to be the impact of AMD re-entering the competitive space for CPUs. AMD is now promising a 28 core chip (at $2,000). But I am pretty sure we'll see a trickle down and 8, 10, or maybe 12 cores will be "normal" in the next couple years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26 June 2018 at 11:46 PM, SSD said:

@lostincable

This is very typical these days. Companies like Intel designing a new CPU that is backward compatible with the prior generation is becoming rare. And even memory specs often change between upgrades. So we need to make sure we understand the impacts of these on the upgrade cost.

I would also mention that higher core counts seem to be the impact of AMD re-entering the competitive space for CPUs. AMD is now promising a 28 core chip (at $2,000). But I am pretty sure we'll see a trickle down and 8, 10, or maybe 12 cores will be "normal" in the next couple years.

Worth considering that the AMD AM4 board will support new CPUs up until 2020. That's two new generations of chips (Zen 2 & Zen 3) past the current, down to 7nm.

The desktop Ryzen chips will likely hit 16 cores (maybe only 12) with the 7nm switch next year. So if you are looking for upgradability then an $85 B450 board will do you for a number of years.

Intel is very unlikely to even get close, and certainly not at sane prices.

PS The Threadripper 2 is a more expensive design, but will hit 32 cores.

6 hours ago, sane said:

Worth considering that the AMD AM4 board will support new CPUs up until 2020. That's two new generations of chips (Zen 2 & Zen 3) past the current, down to 7nm.

The desktop Ryzen chips will likely hit 16 cores (maybe only 12) with the 7nm switch next year. So if you are looking for upgradability then an $85 B450 board will do you for a number of years.

Intel is very unlikely to even get close, and certainly not at sane prices.

PS The Threadripper 2 is a more expensive design, but will hit 32 cores.

But will you need another chipset to take advantage of newer chips?

For instance, if you’re buying an Intel 8th Generation Core processor, you’ll need a board with an LGA 1151 socket--and one designed for 8th Generation processors; older boards designed for 7th Generation chips use the same socket, but won’t work with newer chips. AMD makes this process a bit less confusing because (for now at least) the company uses the same AM4 socket for all of its mainstream current-gen chips, from Athlons all the way up to 8-core Ryzen 7 parts. And AMD has promised to stick with the AM4 socket until 2020. Intel, on the other hand, has a tendency in recent years to switch sockets (or at least socket compatibility) from one generation to the next.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/motherboard-buying-guide,5682.html

(BTW, that quote and link is from a very good motherboard buyer guide article - very new.)

On 10 July 2018 at 10:46 PM, SSD said:

But will you need another chipset to take advantage of newer chips?

Tis said no. Take out the old chip, put in the new. You will likely have to upgrade the BIOS, so you'll need the old chip to get that done first, but you could then sell the old chip for some cash.

Rough guess is it won't go incompatible till 2021, with PCIe 4 and DDR5, but obviously nothing is guaranteed. AMD have a good track record though.