OpenVPN-AS Brings up my router login page

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, FlorinB said:

Annie, have you made the changes into your VPN server and tried to load the unRaid page? Still not working?

In Android you can try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myprog.netutils

YES I made the changes and no difference

I spoke with Linksys and they said I was supposed to get the login page when accessing my IP from the web , so the router can be managed remotely.

I keep getting confused by the functionality of unraid on the web as my prior NAS was accessed by using my IP and I could just enter my web ip and port,  and away I go..

. This unraid and OpenVPN is messing with my mind.. ....

I will try with the info provided by you link and let you know what happens

16 minutes ago, Annie SIxgun said:

I spoke with Linksys and they said I was supposed to get the login page when accessing my IP from the web

Yes, if you use your external IP, and the router is set to allow external management.

You should be using your unraid's IP if you want to access unraid.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Yes, if you use your external IP, and the router is set to allow external management.

You should be using your unraid's IP if you want to access unraid.

confused.......  I already can access unraid locally using the 192.168.x.y address. I can see my shares in windows 10. I can read and write to shares etc....

What I can not do is access those things from the internet.using OpenVPN.  I have a connection using OpenVPN on UDP port 1194, but I can not access anything...

3 minutes ago, Annie SIxgun said:

Hi.. Got any idea what my problem might be?

No I missed this thread, and haven't caught up.  In the future try and use the threads already created for plugin/docker container support.

I'll leave you in @jonathanm incapable hands.   :)

I'm 100% confident it's a configuration issue with either/or/both your router and the container though.

Edited by CHBMB
2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

When the VPN is working properly, everything is accessed EXACTLY the same way as you do locally. Same addresses, shares, etc. You don't use your external IP to access anything.

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

No I missed this thread, and haven't caught up.  In the future try and use the threads already created for plugin/docker container support.

I'll leave you in @jonathanm incapable hands.   :)

Sorry, but When I visited that forum I read where it was for developers.... which I surely am not

5 minutes ago, Annie SIxgun said:

Sorry, but When I visited that forum I read where it was for developers.... which I surely am not

Yeah, in an effort to reduce random posts like this one, you're not permitted to create a new thread, however the developers create dedicated support threads which you can reply to with your issues in an effort to keep the non-Unraid stuff neat and organised.  You can find the specific thread easily from the GUI.

Technically the issue you're having here is with a third party docker container that is nothing to do with Unraid.  By posting in the general forum, it's a bit like posting on the Microsoft forums for an issue with a piece of software that you happen to run on windows, but isn't developed by Microsoft.

If that makes sense.....

People are fairly laid back about it, and allowances are made for new users, but if you're a repeat offender you'll be told. ;)

screenshot_1.png

Edited by CHBMB
3 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, in an effort to reduce random posts like this one, you're not permitted to create a new thread, however the developers create dedicated support threads which you can reply to with your issues in an effort to keep the non-Unraid stuff neat and organised.  You can find the specific thread easily from the GUI.

screenshot_1.png

Thanks..... I am learning...and I have 15 days left on my trial ....(by fire)

Might as well leave it here now. 

Disadvantage to this is all the information in this thread will get lost with time in the general forum, whereas if it were in the dedicated thread it's a useful resource in an easily found location for others to learn from, which is the rationale behind the support threads.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Can we circle back to this a moment.

What address are you putting in to your browser to try to access your server?

192.168.1.102  and it times out

I have access to a remote laptop now and I get a vpn connect but nothing on the unraid server  is available

from the remote - a command  line ping of  192.168.1.102 is successful the addresses on the remote are below 192.168.1.100 and the gateway is below 100

4 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

So what was changed between your first post in this thread where 192.168.1.102 brought up your router login instead of unraid and now it times out?

I talked to Linksys and they said it is supposed to so you can manage the router from a remote location using their program

Then I found out my other problems were the result of my cell phone vpn software I changed the software and I made vpn connects.

Still having cell phone troubles I called my sister and I now have control of her computer via team viewer.

I installed OpenVPN client software , installed  her .ovpn profile  and connected...

HOWEVER I still can not see the shares in the unraid server.

I can ping the server IP from here computer and am successful, but nothing else

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

So what was changed between your first post in this thread where 192.168.1.102 brought up your router login instead of unraid and now it times out?

PROGRESS ?   maybe a little

OK... via a remote laptop,    I can now type the unraid IP into the remote browser , and login as root,  and the server comes up .just as if I were local

BUT ....I still can not log in as a user,  and I still can not see any shares on the unraid server .from the remote location.... unless I log in as root

note:  curious but on the remote laptop the connection shows up as "unidentified"  even when I select "work".... part of problem ?

one more thing, when I try to log in as a user that I have already set up in unraid, I get the screen to enter the usercode and password and it will not accept correct info..

Edited by Annie SIxgun
4 hours ago, Annie SIxgun said:

HOWEVER I still can not see the shares in the unraid server. 

Annie, are you trying to access your shares over VPN? This is not recommended due to low speed of the internet connection. I assume you do not have a 100mbps or 1gps connection to internet.

When you are connected to VPN you shold always use a remote desktop connection, ssh or web gui to manage things in your network.

2 hours ago, Annie SIxgun said:

OK... via a remote laptop,    I can now type the unraid IP into the remote browser , and login as root,  and the server comes up .just as if I were local

This means that your VPN connection is working and OK. Please do not to do things which are slow over VPN like accessing the shares or even copying big files over VPN.