OpenVPN-AS Brings up my router login page

16 minutes ago, FlorinB said:

Annie, are you trying to access your shares over VPN? This is not recommended due to low speed of the internet connection. I assume you do not have a 100mbps or 1gps connection to internet.

When you are connected to VPN you shold always use a remote desktop connection, ssh or web gui to manage things in your network.

This means that your VPN connection is working and OK. Please do not to do things which are slow over VPN like accessing the shares or even copying big files over VPN.

Yes I am trying to access my shares over a VPN connection,

and I have a 150mb connection 

and yes the vpn is working when referring to a VPN connection from a remote laptop.

What is NOT working is access to the unraid shares from a remote computer.... 

Does not matter about speed... I will be traveling and need secure access to my shares.

When this gets working, and that is a big question right now,,,  I will try to install lets encrypt to make it even more secure.

Edited by Annie SIxgun
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Annie SIxgun said:

Yes I am trying to access my shares over a VPN connection,

and I have a 150mb connection 

and yes the vpn is working when referring to a VPN connection from a remote laptop. 

What is NOT working is access to the unraid shares from a remote computer....  

It was working from the beginning or it started to work after adding your internal lan subnet into the VPN config?

Unfortunately for the share part, I cannot help you as I am using the VPN from the mobile phone only to access the unRaid Web UI and router config.

To map a share over VPN and investigate why is working or not it would be quite difficult for me.

1 minute ago, FlorinB said:

It was working from the beginning or it started to work after adding your internal lan subnet into the VPN config?

Unfortunately for the share part, I cannot help you as I am using the VPN from the mobile phone only to access the unRaid Web UI and router config.

To map a share over VPN and investigate why is working or not it would be quite difficult for me.

It is quite a problem for me too... been trying to figure it out for five days and about 12 hours each day, reading and trying different things and I have come a long way from my original problem with the router page showing up to I can login to the unraid UI as root  now, but not as a user to see the shares..  Have a great day... I am going to bed,, I am starting to make errors from being tired...

What method are you using to try and access the shares?  If you're using Windows, you can just open Windows Explorer and in the text entry bar near the top, type:

\\192.168.1.102

and hit enter (assuming that is still your unRAID IP).  At that point you should be able to see your shares, or if prompted for a user account, login using any user you have created and added to a share for access.

One other thing to double check is what you ended up entering into the 'specify the private subnets to which all clients should be given access' dialog.  It sounds like you got that right as you can access your server, but just in case - assuming a consumer Linksys router on the 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 range, and the fact that you have stated your unRAID server is on 192.168.1.102, you should enter 192.168.1.0/24 here.  Is that what you entered there?

1 hour ago, Annie SIxgun said:

reading and trying different things and I have come a long way from my original problem with the router page showing up to I can login to the unraid UI as root  now, but not as a user to see the shares

Annie, in the Web UI you can only login as root, no other user.

Shares should be always accessed over samba. In Windows you can  browse all allowed shares from explorer as @BetaQuasi mentioned or you can map a share to a disk.

In Windows Command Line you may use the following syntax:

C:\> net use * \\192.168.1.102\YourShareName /user:YourUser Password

This will map YourShareName as next available disk letter.The * can be replaced with an available letter - example X:

It seems like I have had one too many problems.

Over two weeks,, with several all nighters,  and I still have not been unable to resolve my problems.

I have had minimal success with an even smaller understanding of why .

So I figure it is time to pull the plug......and get some rest.

This 80 yr old lady really appreciates the help and direction that has come from the forum.members

Thanks again

Anne.