SMB shares access on subfolders

Hi folks,

For the last 12 hours or so, I read the forums and wiki and tested the server with SMB shares. I can't seem to get it right. I was hoping anyone could give me a hand if possible.

I made it with colors so it will be easier to read the SMB shares I want to create.

Users:

• User-1 (manager)
  • User-2 (team member)

Folder structure and permissions:

• General Folder <-- User-1 (read/write)
    •    Team <-- User-1 (read/write)    |   User-2 (read)
      • User 1 <-- User-1 (read/write) | User-2 (read)
      • User 2 <-- User-1 (read) | User-2 (read/write)
    • Other folders <-- User-1 (read/write)

I tried creating the general folder and creating the team folder in it. But the Team folder will inherit the General's folder permissions through the Shares although I tried modifying it with smb.conf in the SMB settings.

Can anyone share some light on how can one achieve this please. If it is possible.

45 minutes ago, itimpi said:

In unRAID you specify the folder permissions at the top level (I.e. the share level).    Having different permissions on sub-folders is not supported).

Thank you.

I was thinking more on the lines of smb.conf than the Web UI.

Any tips for a smb.conf setup ?

5 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You may have to do your own research on this one.  Here is the link to to the Samba Group's Documentation and Help page:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/?

Remember that Google can be your friend...

Thx for this.

I've been looking on that website today, however, the information is either poorly written or in-existent.

This was useful but very hard and long to read: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

Edited by Jules

If you've gone that far in, you'll have to work with POSIX ACLs to control access at the level you want using the setfacl command.

You'll have to read up on how to work with this. I haven't needed this function in unRAID, so I don't know yet if its actually supported or if the mounts need special settings

I managed to get it working just now. I will post it here as others might have an interest in this as well.

I ended up using "chmod" and "chown" to change folder permissions and folder ownership.

The problem with this setup is that can get very complicated if you have more than 1 manager and or changing managers all the time.