10gb Networking Expectations.

Hi

I recently added a single 10gb Mellanox NIC card to my Unraid server and my Freenas server.  As a test I'm trying to see if i can hit that mark.  I'm not getting anywhere close to it.

This is how I'm testing:

On the unraid server, i have a single SSD cache drive (rated 500MBs).  SSD is connected to a 2308 LSI controller (IT mode). A windows 10 VM on it.  Network settings in the VM and in Unraid has MTU to 9000.

Freenas server has a two intel ssds (also rated 500 MBs) set for Stripping. SSD is connected to a 2308 LSI controller (IT mode).   Created a share on it.  MTU is set to 9000.  Setup these tunable options per the internet to optimize settings:

(enter via CLI and even rebooted)

sysctl kern.ipc.somaxconn=2048
sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace=4194304
sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendspace=2097152
sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max=16777216
sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max=16777216

sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc=32768
sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_inc=524288
sysctl net.route.netisr_maxqlen=2048

I tested by coping a big file between the VM in cache and the share on freenas.  Maybe i hit  500 MBs according to Windows copying GUI but it didn't last very long.  On average i'm getting anywhere between 150 - 200 MBs.

Then I tried iperf.  Setup the freenas as the server and the VM as the client.  Ran the tests a bunch of times and basically getting about the same.

Based on my Hardware and setup, is this the MAX I can get? In order to get the 10gb transfer speeds, are do i need a nvme on an m2 in order to get that type of transfer? is the sata SSDs the bottleneck?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!