Syslog full of "blk_partition_remap: fail for partition 1"

I just noticed that my syslog has been showing the following for the last week:

Jun 22 04:52:28 downloadbox kernel: blk_partition_remap: fail for partition 1
Jun 22 04:52:28 downloadbox kernel: XFS (sda1): metadata I/O error: block 0x75513e80 ("xfs_trans_read_buf_map") error 5 numblks 32
Jun 22 04:52:28 downloadbox kernel: XFS (sda1): xfs_imap_to_bp: xfs_trans_read_buf() returned error -5.

My server seems ok although around midnight last night I did get a few emails claiming that my cache disk was nearly full that seems to be fine once I got up this morning and apart from the email notifications I can't see any errors relating to this in the syslog. I also can't find any references to what sda1 thinks it is, as there is no sda1 listed under system devices.

downloadbox-syslog-20180629-0845.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Same with me, this happens every so often

I have formatted my USB to clean it up thinking it was the concern, but clearly, it hasn't helped 
anyone know what the issue may be ? 

Flash    DataTraveler_3.0 - 15.5 GB

This has seemed to happen since I switched from my original flash drive to this one as I needed more room than my original one from Unraid

Jul 23 13:43:41 UnRAID kernel: blk_partition_remap: fail for partition 1
Jul 23 13:43:41 UnRAID kernel: blk_partition_remap: fail for partition 1

unraid-diagnostics-20180723-1751.zip

Edited by bombz

I have changed USB port to 3.0 as I was on the 2.0 header
I also changed the boot device which I think may have been messing it up (but we will see)

I was on:
UEFI - Kingston Flash

Changed to:
Legacy - Kingston Flash

Array is  in parity sync now.... again. As whenever this issue happens I have to use the 'powerdown ' command from console, which then shows 'unclean shutdown' when I boot (When this error happens).

I will know in a few days I am sure if I am running into concerns. 

Ah OK. Well, I do have other flash drives here (2.0) This was what I had handy at the time as I couldn't upgrade to 6.0 at the time. I was still using my original USB for years that I bought from UnRaid (version 4.5 era).

I will get a 2.0 device going tonight and request a new key. Thank you for the heads up.

[SOLVED] (so far)

Interesting.
Parity finished.
I stopped the server to give it a fresh shutdown and reboot and saw this:
Jul 24 18:06:46 UnRAID emhttpd: error: send_file, 139: Broken pipe (32): sendfile: /usr/local/emhttp/logging.htm

I think I am going to swap to a USB 2.0 and re-key tonight

Edit:
USB 2.0 Key made bootable.... waiting on reg info (fingers crossed!)

Edit:
Seems the new key has been holding strong. 

Edited by bombz
  • 1 year later...

Was a resolve for this ever found? (as posted by allanp81)

Nov 24 00:11:28 Headless kernel: XFS (sdh1): metadata I/O error: block 0xeadea1f0 ("xfs_trans_read_buf_map") error 5 numblks 32

Nov 24 00:11:28 Headless kernel: XFS (sdh1): xfs_imap_to_bp: xfs_trans_read_buf() returned error -5.

I have the same issue, but it's not just a matter of 'filling' the log file - this occurs with a USB hard drive and when it does, the drive goes 'offline' (unmounted) when it was mounted, shared and usable in unAssigned Devices.

AND, it gets better...

Not only will it not remount (as is), but if it is disconnected and reattached in hopes of getting it operational -

Can't remount the drive because of the following error:

Nov 24 00:31:02 Headless kernel: XFS (sdi1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID b53fdadc-8cec-4f92-b699-a4cbc510f52d - can't mount

The system seems REALLY "confused" at this point - of course its the same UUID (NOT a duplicate) - IT'S THE SAME DEVICE that was mounted and working and now won't remount (because it is detected as a duplicate?).  Can only get it operational again by a reboot of the system, JUST TO HAVE IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

(Even tried to change the UUID at this point, but the OS wouldn't have it - says drive's log has to be cleared by mounting the drive, or risk potential 'corruption.)

If I can determine what is causing the initial problem that is getting logged, can probably avoid the complications (like the following)

Drive goes so far 'out the window' that in addition to the duplicate UUID, also get this:

Nov 24 00:31:02 Headless unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdi1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WCC132184639: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdi1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Which CAN'T be correct, otherwise the drive wouldn't have mounted and been usable in the first place.

And, if the system is rebooted, the drive CAN be mounted and is once again usable (for however long that lasts, usually not too).

Have included diagnostics that shows all of this happening, but have no idea why.

Any help would be appreciated.

NOTE:  It is interesting that the device starts out as "sdh" (the next available designation), but after that it gets a designation of "sdi" EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO "sdh" and that designation is available; may be the reason the system is 'confused' and issues the duplicate UUID error.

headless-diagnostics-20191124-0030.zip

this occurs with a USB hard drive and when it does, the drive goes 'offline' (unmounted) when it was mounted, shared and usable in unAssigned Devices.

Possibly related to the USB bridge, USB is prone to disconnects and very bad a error handling, try connecting directly to a SATA port if possible, you can also run a filesystem check.

The duplicate UUID is also related, it's because the filesystem it's not correctly unmounting.