[SOLVED] Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

How exactly did you get it to rebuild parity? Did you do New Config? Or did you make it think you had replaced parity?

Or do you really mean you just did a parity check rather than a parity build?

I think you are right, I just did a parity check,  did not rebuild. In the image I posted it says at the bottom that the last parity check was 14 days ago, and I have not done anything else.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:52 AM, JorgeB said:

If there's data there, stop the array, unassign disk2, start array, see if the emulated disk2 mounts and data looks correct, if yes, re-assign the disk to rebuild on top.

I did as you said, and started in manteinance mode, It shows that disk 2 has 70GB used, however If I want to see what is in there I see that it is empty:

1964672393_ScreenShot2021-02-09at3_15_27PM.thumb.png.608a88dfaba04ff3b551312a0f6b3f97.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, itimpi said:

An ‘empty’ disk still has an amount of space used to hold the file system directory structures.   The latest XFS driver releases in the newer Linux kernels have a larger overhead than older Linux releases.

I can understand that, however aren´t 70GB  quite some space for system directory structures?

Just now, rojarrolla said:

I can understand that, however aren´t 70GB  quite some space for system directory structures?

True - but that is what it is with the latest releases of the Linux XFS drivers :( and is is more than used to be the case.    I believe there are new features available, but exactly what they are and whether unRaid can use them I have no idea.

• 3 months later...

Hello to all, thanks in advance for all the answers you've written here. I know this thread is been closed, but I don't think we quite have a solution for this yet. I mean If you format the drive and assing it to the array it is "fixed" but in my case I am still getting this issue.

It's been a while since I posted regarding this issue, but, since it is a server I don`t shut it down frequently. As long as it is online there are no issues. However, I had a long power cut yesterday, and I had to shut down the server for around 24 hours and now that I started it again and started the array, I get the same message: (unsupported partition layout) I am getting used to it because if I restart the server normally there is no problem, the issue appears. I can format the drive again and set it online. I don´t have many data on this drive, however, I've been reluctant to add information there since I don't quite like this situation and I would like to fix it before I place more data on it.

Do you think it would be the drive?

Thanks! 

PS here are my diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20210519-1100.zip

Edited by rojarrolla
11 minutes ago, rojarrolla said:

However, I had a long power cut yesterday, and I had to shut down the server for around 24 hours and now that I started it again and started the array, I get the same message: (unsupported partition layout)

That's not normal, is it always the same device?

If it is not cleanly powered down, I can think that it is normal as you said, but, I always try to do clean shut downs in order to take a good care of the drives. I have other drives, do you think it would be a good idea to try another one?

In order to replace the drives I need to stop the array ? Or I just can hot swap it?

Thx a lot!

3 minutes ago, rojarrolla said:

If it is not cleanly powered down, I can think that it is normal as you said

Even with an unclean shutdown that shouldn't happen.

3 minutes ago, rojarrolla said:

In order to replace the drives I need to stop the array ?

Yes, and assign a different drive to the same slot, than start array to rebuild.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have already precleared two times and is still displaying UNMOUNTABLE: UNSUPPORTED PARTITION LAYOUT!

Please find here the report:preclear.txt

Here the screen capture:
image.thumb.png.6cc991a0bf77212e5adcc2bd72dedd47.png

Any idea on what's happening? This is a new WD disk I have just installed a 2 new HD Seagate (Disk9 and Disk10) without need to preclear and was recognized.

Thanks for your help.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread.  Hit this exact problem after replacing a failed 4TB drive.  It spent hours rebuilding the disk contents, but gave the message about the partition layout and could use the disk (despite the data clearly being on the disk after the hours it had spent writing).  Pressing the format button did pretty much nothing (thought about it for a few seconds, but then just returned to the same state) but gave no errors.  Found this thread, found I was on the affected version, upgraded, formatted, job done.  

2 hours ago, turnma said:

data clearly being on the disk after the hours it had spent writing).  Pressing the format button did pretty much nothing (thought about it for a few seconds, but then just returned to the same state) but gave no errors.  Found this thread, found I was on the affected version, upgraded, formatted, job done.  

The data would be on the emulated disk if it was still disabled. After formatting, the data is gone of course.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody.

I need help with the same problem on my server.

I made a parity sync, then replaced with a bigger disk I had brand new, formatted it and pre-cleared It, it directly showed un-mountable. tried reformatting it, tried another disk, tried the old disk, it never came back as normal.

I also tried to update unraid, parity sync with the un-mountable drive  and other things I could think of  but nothing ever worked. (even repair the disk in safe mode, but I wasn't convinced of the work it done (I think nothing happened at all three bad knowledge).

I don't want to lose too much data. (my system is still emulating the missing disk)

Thanks a lot to you all and hope you can help me.

Respectfully 

Leonardibook

(PS: i'm not english so sorry for the faults)

tower-diagnostics-20230108-1430.zip

On 1/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, leonardibook2 said:

update unraid

You are not on the current version

On 11/16/2022 at 6:40 AM, Slamer said:

Indeed I'm using version 6.11.2.

This is the same version you have in your diagnostics, and the same version that is described in this thread as having unmountable problems.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, leonardibook2 said:

my system is still emulating the missing disk

Do you mean disk3? You used the word format many times in your post, and format is NEVER part of rebuild. If you ever formatted a disk while it was assigned to the array then that disk, even if emulated, would be a formatted disk with an empty filesystem.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...