Supermicro X8SIL-F - Problem solved!

After some extensive research and deliberation I went and bought a X8SIL-F, Xeon X3430, and 4 GB of ECC memory.

Nobody seems to be using this board with unRaid, or a board with a similar chipset, so it was a risk on my part that

I was willing to take as the board seemed too sweet to pass.

Well, after 2 days of messing with it I am still not able to get it to boot into unRaid. I don't think it is a problem with

the BIOS configuration as I can make it start Windows installation from USB. Besides, the BIOS does not seem to

have many configuration options at all. It's not the unRaid stick either as I can get

the unRaid load fine in my other PC. The error message is "Error Loading Operating System". Anyone has any clue what this

can mean? Is it that unRaid may not have some files that support this particular chipset, Intel 3430?

Anyone experienced a similar problem with a different board?

Supermicro X8SIL-F - http://www.supermicro.com/xeon_3400/Motherboard/X8SIL.cfm?IPMI=Y

1. Intel® Xeon® X3400 / L3400 series,

Core™ i3 & Pretium® processors

with LGA 1156 socket

2. Intel® 3420 Chipset

3. Up to 32GB DDR3 1333/1066/800MHz

ECC Registered DIMM / 16GB

Unbuffered DIMM

4. Dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet

Controllers

5. 6x SATA (3 Gbps) Ports

RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

6. 2 (x8) PCI-Express 2.0,

1 (x4) PCI-Express (using x8 slot),

1 32-bit PCI slot

7. Integrated IPMI 2.0 with KVM and

Dedicated LAN

8. 7x USB (2 rear, 1 on-board, 2 headers)

I've seen that message before on my Atom.  You need to check the BIOS and make sure that the ONLY bootable device is the USB drive you have plugged into the system.  I hope that's all it is, because I was seriously considering this board with a X3440 as my next system.

I've seen that message before on my Atom.  You need to check the BIOS and make sure that the ONLY bootable device is the USB drive you have plugged into the system.  I hope that's all it is, because I was seriously considering this board with a X3440 as my next system.

That's interesting, Aiden. I have been following your experiences with the Atom board and, in despair, was

actually contemplating downgrading to X7SPA-HF:-)

I hope the X8SIL-F proves to be a winner. I will post my Level I and Level II testing experiences.

That's interesting, Aiden. I have been following your experiences with the Atom board and, in despair, was

actually contemplating downgrading to X7SPA-HF:-)

Lol.  Well, my Atom will be reallocated into a pfSense build I'm contemplating.  As for the upgraditous, I'm prepping for Weebo's eventual secondary md5/parm routine.

I hope the X8SIL-F proves to be a winner. I will post my Level I and Level II testing experiences.

I do too.  You beat me to the testing, so good luck!  And btw, isn't IPMI just awesome?

Lol.  Well, my Atom will be reallocated into a pfSense build I'm contemplating.  As for the upgraditous, I'm prepping for Weebo's eventual secondary md5/parm routine.

FWIW, I'm in the process of learning ins/outs of sqlite3.

I'm using in some places at work for local data warehousing. Once I feel my feet are wet enough, I'll go back into the locate/md5sum db.

I did also learn that there is a way to use mySQL with local flat files too. I have not explored that yet.

The locate db and online search also entailed an unRAID 5.0 plugin to do the browser based locate searches. That part is good so far. So it although it's been quiet on my end there is work going on behind the scene.

Of that

I'm using in some places at work for local data warehousing. Once I feel my feet are wet enough, I'll go back into the locate/md5sum db...

... The locate db and online search also entailed an unRAID 5.0 plugin to do the browser based locate searches. That part is good so far. So it although it's been quiet on my end there is work going on behind the scene.

Of that I have no doubt.  As with all things that have to be engineered, programming is mostly planning and design, which is intangible and hard to show progress until the integration with a frontend.  No rush.  ;D

What is it you are actually working on WeeboTech?

Probably should be in another thread.

In summary.

A replacement for the locate/updatedb commands (file find indexing) with data storage in sqlite.

To be expanded for including some file stat data and md5sum alongside the file.

This will be enhanced to allow searching for files rapidly (without a find / down the whole tree).

along with monitoring files (changes) and having verification with the use of md5sum.

For non changing files, it will allow detection of corruption.

For files that get moved into lost+found it "may" allow determination of the original file.

with matching md5sums, you can find files or duplicates.

Later on we may be able to use the md5sum as a filename in creating a symlink directory then use par2 to create a large parity set which may be able to detect / repair small corruptions.

Currently I use locate for my system. I look for a movie with locate, find it's disk, then target that disk.

It beats spinning up 20 drives and traversing a large user share.

I'm planning to expand this to verify/detect file corruption and possibly find a way to repair small corruptions.