Upgrading chasis

nudelta

Hello,

First I would like to apologize if this has been asked before.  I am upgrading to the norco 4224 and was wondering when I switch all the hardware over to the new case will I need to be sure the drives are connected to the same port, or will it automatically set it up correctly no matter which ports its connected to?    Second qeustion is which HBA/RAID controller would work best at connecting all 24 bays?  Thank you for your help.

4 minutes ago, nudelta said:

Hello,

First I would like to apologize if this has been asked before.  I am upgrading to the norco 4224 and was wondering when I switch all the hardware over to the new case will I need to be sure the drives are connected to the same port, or will it automatically set it up correctly no matter which ports its connected to?

This has been asked a lot!

unRAID recognizes drives based on their serial number. So no matter what port they are on, they will be recognized in the right disk slot.

In fact, for unRAID, every boot is like booting for the very first time. It has no memory of what case, motherboard, CPU, or HBA you had installed previously. All it remembers is your drives "string" which includes serial number.

4 minutes ago, nudelta said:

Second qeustion is which HBA/RAID controller would work best at connecting all 24 bays?  Thank you for your help.

I am not that familiar with the Norco, and can say that I am not a big fan of their hot swap mechanism. Other users have found a similar SuperMicro case that I would recommend over the Norco.

Look at these HBAs - LSI SAS9201-8i, -16i, or even -16e (which is a lot less than the -16i but made for 16 external drives, but the cables can be routed back into the case). I am not that familiar with the rack-mount cases, and not sure what cabling you'd need to install them.

BTW, I prefer a tall tower to a rack mount. Keeps small floor footprint and easier to navigate if I need to move it. I bolted that top 5in3 on top, and could keep adding more if I ever need to, and get to 30, 35, or maybe 40 drives.

955105144_Merlinfront.thumb.jpg.0672bca2e65021ba30dc2b9b5fc67e6e.jpg

• Upvote 1