USB Failed and I Can't Replace the Key

Side question though.  How do you know the flash drive has actually failed.  Only LT would know the actual statistics on transferred registrations, but I would think that they are exceedingly rare  (my one flash drive is older than all of my drives by far and still is chugging along)

The two drives are/were both 32G Lexar JumpDives bought together and only used for my unRAID server. Each failed in a similar way. I can't see any files when mounted on my server or in my macbook. When I fired up Disk Utility on the mac to see if I could possibly reformat and reinstall the os, it just hung, and was never able to even see the drive. Also, I have a tool called SpinRite which I've been using for decades to recover spinning drives and have had good luck with SSDs and flash drives as well. SpinRite hung too when trying to analyze the drives. I've learned over the years that if SpinRite can't bring it back, it's gone.

Here is a link to the topic I opened after the first one failed. https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/70174-os-flash-drive-w12m-writes/ At first I thought I'd been hacked because of the way all my shares had been made public. I was never able to figure out what caused it but I did recheck my Docker container configs after to see if they were using the USB, but it all looked ok. When my replacement failed I wasn't able to run a diagnostic. I can't remember the error I got from the command line, something like 'bus error'. The USB was dead so that would make sense.

It's hard to believe I got 2 bad USB drives so perhaps I do have something wrong with my container configs per @Frank1940 and @DoItMyselfToo

I was able to get the array started after getting a new key. I went thru and checked each of my docker configs and all file mounts were to /mnt/user/appdata or other /mnt/user shares.

Are there any other ways for a container to write to the boot drive? What if one of them were writing excessively to their writable (top-most) container layer, where would that end up? 

12 minutes ago, ksd2kd said:

I was able to get the array started after getting a new key. I went thru and checked each of my docker configs and all file mounts were to /mnt/user/appdata or other /mnt/user shares.

Are there any other ways for a container to write to the boot drive? What if one of them were writing excessively to their writable (top-most) container layer, where would that end up? 

Glad you're up and running again.  You said that you bought these drives together;  I'm assuming they were in a two pack and not bought as individual drives.  It's likely they were from the same questionable batch.  Now that you have a different, brand new USB drive, you should probably be fine.

As for something else in your container writing to your flash drive, as long as all your container paths point to host paths on your array/cache drive you should be fine.  Perhaps someone with more expertise will chime in soon.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo

Go to Main    >>>  Boot Device  and look at the  number of Writes.  (You may have to toggle the 'List' icon at the far right)  Note the number.  After a day, have a second look and see what number is now there.  (Try to avoid changing any settings or configuring anything.  If you do, note the updated number.)  You are looking to see if something besides your activity is causing a lot of writes.   Check again in a few days fora while.