Unmountable: No Filesystem after reboot

Thanks @johnnie.black for the quick response.  I did that and the output said I should try -L.  I did xfs_repair -L /dev/md5 and it completed successfully.  I then stopped and started the array and the drive was picked back up.

Does this mean this drive is dead or should it bee good to go for a while?  Should I run a parity check now as well?

Hello

I am faced with the following problem
My unRAID server crashed due to a hardware failure on the motherboard
So I realize a new configuration with a new motherboard
After starting unRAID there was a Parity Check of the Array which normal
My problem: one of the disks displays the message "Unmountable No file system"
Nevertheless the disc is not in error: during the Parity check it was read like the other disks

unraid_error0.thumb.jpg.f5fdfd59dc6d1484a9cf0c9a18f6d72d.jpg

So I stopped the Array and restarted it in maintenance mode
Then in the terminal I typed the command:

xfs_repair -v / dev / md9

I got the following message

unraid_error1.jpg.b660c16a2789662d4617543580e20a47.jpg

I then typed the following command

xfs_repair -v -L / dev / md9

I got the following message

unraid_error2.jpg.87bed9d22706ab795618efa58a32c892.jpg

Is the next step formatting the disk as shown in the message:

unraid_error3.thumb.jpg.dc04f7b8dc0ccbbd780cb35f8f0c09e0.jpg

In this case will the disk be rebuilt from the Parity disk?

Thanks for your help

Louis

hcsrv1-diagnostics-20180710-1743.zip

Edited by sonata31380
25 minutes ago, sonata31380 said:

In this case will the disk be rebuilt from the Parity disk?

No, formatting will delete all data and update parity accordingly.

There seems to be a problem with that disk since no SMART data is displayed, there are also various timeout errors on the SASLP, that controller is not recommend for current unRAID since it can cause issue with the disks connected.

The current problem may not have anything to do with the above, but to rule out controller issues, and since disk9 is connected on the SASLP swap SATA cable with a disk connected on the onboard controller and run xfs_repair again, if it still fails post new diags.

22 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

.... there are also various timeout errors on the SASLP, that controller is not recommend for current unRAID since it can cause issue with the disks connected ...

Hello

Thank you for your reply
In case the controller is in question what other product do you recommend with 8 ports?
Louis

12 minutes ago, sonata31380 said:

In case the controller is in question what other product do you recommend with 8 ports?

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Looking at the log file we actually see a lot of error in the controller sata card
So I decided to change it and I ordered for a LSI SAS 9211-8i
If after this change I still have problems with the disk, by removing the disk partition outside the unRAID server, will this disk be considered a replacement and the array will be rebuilt?
Thanks for your help
Louis

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

The current problem may not have anything to do with the above, but to rule out controller issues, and since disk9 is connected on the SASLP swap SATA cable with a disk connected on the onboard controller and run xfs_repair again, if it still fails post new diags.

1 minute ago, sonata31380 said:

So, no solution, even installing a new drive?
Yet the principle of Raid is to reconstruct the loss of a disk?

It is. But it will reconstruct to the state it was it when the parity was generated. And it depends on the drives and controller cards to be trustworthy.

And let me just mention again it could be a disk problem, and in that case a rebuild (or trying it on the emulated disk) could work, since the way xfs_repair is aborting is consisting with a problem accessing the disk, same for the lack of SMART information, so it might be controller related, it might be the disk.

I admit I do not understand
The principle of the raid is to be able to rebuild a disk in case of problem
From the parity disk and the other disks we must be able to reconstruct a disk
When we change a disk for another, it recovers the data of the previous one
A priori the parity disk is built from sectors and not from the file system, the latter is only used to access files through samba or nfs
We see on the following image that my disk 9 was read without error for the parity check : the disk is ok

unraid_error0.thumb.jpg.e6355f056ad4519d57d0e2a553d68985.jpg
Why then if I put a new disc, this one will not recover the data of the disc which it replaces, since this new disc will be first formatted in xfs?

2 minutes ago, sonata31380 said:

Why then if I put a new disc, this one will not recover the data of the disc which it replaces, since this new disc will be first formatted in xfs?

If the problem is the disk or the controller, replacing either will fix the problem, if it's really a corrupt filesystem rebuilding will rebuild an exact byte by byte copy of the current disk, including the existing file system corruption.