unRAID hangs, webui and shares unavailable, ssh available sometimes

Hi,

For the second day in a row my unRAID server has hung. Yesterday i could SSH in but i could barely run anything. When i tried top or htop it would just chug until i pressed ctrl+c to cancel. Today ssh didnt work either, it just timed out. I have a couple dockers and two Ubuntu virtual machines. All the hardware except a few disks are brand new and the system worked fine for 1 or 2 months until yesterday. After reboot everything is fine. I havn't made any changes i can remember and the system isnt under any particularly high load that i am aware of. Any ideas what could be wrong? I was only able to capture diagnostics after restart unfortunately.

tracer-diagnostics-20180705-1653.zip

• 2 weeks later...

A little late, and I hope everything is working better now, but if the problem's persisting, install the Fix Common Problems plug-in (you should probably do that anyway) and turn on trouble shooting mode.

FCP will make regular copies of the syslog to your flash drive so you'll have a pretty good shot at being able to identify what's going wrong just before the crash.

The box keeps hanging at random every 24-48 hours.

Yesterday it hung and i walked over with a keyboard and monitor. Monitor didnt come on, but i could switch Num Lock on and off, and if i switched tty with ctrl+alt+f1 and f2 the Num Lock switched on and off (one tty had on and the other off?). Logging in and rebooting blindly didnt work. Had to hard-reset.

Today it hung again as i started a Plex sync. I have removed all USB devices (UPS and FR24 receiver) and disabled the two Ubuntu VMs now. Logs attached.

I ran memtest86 for an hour a couple days ago, no errors reported. This is driving me nuts!

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

tracer-diagnostics-20180721-1724.zip

Edited by maciekish

Hi Maciekish,

Here's what we'd like you to do so we can help troubleshoot.  First, please reboot the system into safe mode.  This will prevent all plugins from being installed.  Second, please disable use of Docker containers and Virtual Machines.  Third, attach a monitor and keyboard to your system.  From a terminal on that monitor, login and type the following command:

tail /var/log/syslog -f

This will cause the system log to output all messages to the screen in real-time.  If the system crashes again after that, please take a picture of that screen and send us what you see.  This will show us what is happening right before the hang.  This definitely seems like a hardware problem, but taking these steps will help narrow it down.

Hi, I disabled all VMs and Dockers and the system has been up for 5 days. I have run memtest and prime95 for 29 hours without issues. I am currently reenabling a docker or vm every 48 hours to until it crashes. If it doesnt help i will connect a monitor and keyboard but it is very difficult so i am leaving it for later.